I want to be sure whether I can use Konjuktive II(Präsens) of the word "mitteilen" in the following way:

Wenn du auch den gesamten Übungstest von diesem Aufsatz mitteilen würdest, wäre ich sehr dankbar

Wenn du auch den gesamten Übungstest von diesem Aufsatz mitteiltest, wäre ich sehr dankbar

Mitteiltest du den auch gesamten Übungstest von diesem Aufsatz, wäre ich sehr dankbar

I want to know

a) if the sentences above are grammatically correct

b) if yes, whether any of them would sound weird while being used in daily communication

P.S. You may totally ignore "den gesamten Übungstest von diesem Aufsatz" part, if you wish.

Not directly related to the question: Can you please clarify what die Übungstest should mean? Did you mean der Übungstext? – πάντα ῥεῖ Oct 25 at 14:13
  • I saw only the essay part, but have asked for the essay (test) exercise/question on which supposedly that writing is based on. – Sterliing Danny Oct 25 at 14:29
  • Übungstest isn't really a (common) word in German language. And even though, it would certainly not be feminie gender. – πάντα ῥεῖ Oct 25 at 14:36
  • Will change the gender now. I saw this word "Übungstest" from a book called "Prüfungstraining Testdaf". – Sterliing Danny Oct 25 at 15:10
    Again, getting stuck on side issues, but I assume Übungstest -- "practice test" would be countable, but there's no article. Maybe den gesamten Übungstest instead. – RDBury Oct 25 at 17:59

a)

No, they are not correct but that is because you are missing an article. Adding "den" between "auch" and "gesamten" would make each sentence correct. Apart from that, all three sentences are correct.

b)

• Sentence one is the most usual way to say it.
  • Sentence two is the officially prefered but recently less common way to say it.
  • Sentence three sounds somewhat archaic/dramatic and would be hard to understand for another reason too since the way it is structured would usually be used in a different context. An example for that way would be "Schenktest du mir auch die ganze Welt, wollte ich nichts mit dir zu tun haben" (Even if you would gift the entire world to me, I still would not want to have anything to do with you).
| improve this answer | |
  • "den" is required in these sentences because it is Konjuktiv II and/or it is known what "Übungstest" is meant, right?. By the way, I really enjoyed reading your answer, thank you. – Sterliing Danny Oct 26 at 12:15
  • "den" is needed because "Übungstetst" is Dativ here (because "geben" requires Dativ) and not a name. – hajef Oct 26 at 12:20
  • hajef ! @RDBury pointed out "den" is necessary because "Übungstetst" is countable,however, I assume, it is a matter of choice to use article with countable nouns. For example, "den großen Tisch" or "großen Tisch" I think there is no difference, correct? Secondly, "etw(akk) teilen" the verb here requires accusative object, but I did not understand why you mentioned "geben" at all? – Sterliing Danny Oct 26 at 13:07
  • The concept of countable versus not-countable strikes me to be distinctly English. To my knowledge, it does not exist in German grammar. Also, there is usually just one way to do it right ("großen Tisch" does not go without an article) and if both are possible, they have different meanings. "Du gibst mir den Test" is not more countable than "Du gibst mir Tests" and that does not mean the same thing as "Du gibst mir die Tests". But that is a topic for a different question (and is probably already answered somewhere). – hajef Oct 26 at 13:27
  • Avoidance of würde + infinitive for weak verbs isn't something that is commonly taught, and hasn't been for decades. Therefore, sentence one would be the "officially preferred" variant, as well as the most common one. – David Vogt Oct 26 at 18:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.