In the following sentences why does one use the dative ("meiner") instead of the accusative ("meine")?

meiner Meinung dazu..

meiner Meinung nach...

And can you make a sentence with both of the phrases? The reference is the "Menschen" book by Huber, B1 level. For example:

Meiner Meinung nach ist die Wohnung sehr klein.

meiner Meinung dazu is wrong, it must be meine Meinung dazu. Where did you get that from? Clarify that in your question please. Either add a link to the source, or put more context there, neither of these sentences is complete. Oct 25 '20 at 19:56
    ... meiner Meinung dazu ... could be part of a valid sentence, but to decide this one has to see the entire sentence. It is impossible to say much about it from the fragment alone.
    – RHa
    Oct 25 '20 at 20:00
  • Because nach as either a preposition or a postposition takes dative case.
    – Janka
    Oct 25 '20 at 21:17
  • Thnx guys. I edited my question Oct 30 '20 at 19:00

First of all you shouldn't post fragments, but whole sentences. We are talking about grammar here, and grammar is the science of joining words together to build sentences, not fragments. So, I try it with these sentences:

1. Meiner Meinung dazu ist, dass die Wohnung sehr klein ist.
  2. Meiner Meinung nach ist die Wohnung sehr klein.

Now note, that sentence 1 is wrong! The bold marked part of speech is the subject, and the subject always must be in nominative case. So, your assumption about dative case is just wrong for sentence 1.

This is correct:

Meine Meinung dazu ist, dass die Wohnung sehr klein ist.
My opinion on this is that the apartment is very small.

The word "dazu" is a pronominal adverb. It consists of the adverb "da" and the preposition "zu". In this sentence it works like a prepositional object and it can be replaced by one:

Meine Meinung zu dieser Sache ist, dass die Wohnung sehr klein ist.
My opinion on this matter is that the apartment is very small.

So, in sentence 1 the word "dazu" is a distinct part of speech, that does not directly belong to "meine Meinung" and even can be omitted completely:

Meine Meinung ist, dass die Wohnung sehr klein ist.
My opinion is that the apartment is very small.

The sentence 2 is correct, but note, that the word nach is an adposition, that most often appears as a preposition, but here is a postposition. And, even more important, it is not a distinct part of speech. It is part of

meiner Meinung nach
according to my opinion (in my opinion)

which is a postpositional object. Postpositional objects work exactly like prepositional objects, the only difference is the place on the adposition inside this object. You also can convert the postpositional object into a prepositional object:

Nach meiner Meinung ist die Wohnung sehr klein.
According to my opinion (in my opinion) the apartment is very small.

But the phrase "meiner Meinung nach" is much more common than "nach meiner Meinung", but both of them are correct and they mean the same.

The point is, that each adposition wants to have the rest of the adpositional object to be in some specific grammatical case. And "nach" wants dative case. And this is the reason why "meiner Meinung" in "meiner Meinung nach" has to be in dative case.

In my opinion, meiner Meinung nach is not an object because it can be used with almost any verb. It is rather an epistemic adverbial.
    – RHa
    Oct 31 '20 at 9:58
  • Thank you very much hubert. You answer was realllllly complete. Can you make me an example of other positions that we can transfer postpositional objects to prepositional ? Dec 14 '20 at 19:59
  • @omidrezanouri: Comments are not meant to ask new questions. Ask your question here. Dec 14 '20 at 21:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.