A Slow German episode contains the following sentence:

Dabei sollte man die Fahrtzeit nicht zu knapp kalkulieren, vor allem wenn man umsteigen muss – denn auch wenn alles gut durchgeplant ist, kann es zu Verspätungen kommen.

I am wondering why zu Verspätungen was used and not mit Verspätungen?

Dabei sollte man die Fahrtzeit nicht zu knapp kalkulieren, vor allem wenn man umsteigen muss – denn auch wenn alles gut durchgeplant ist, kann es mit Verspätungen kommen.

As I understand the meaning of zu it would not occur to me to use it here, like this. I have done a search for "zu Verspätungen" on DWDS and there are no hits, whereas a search for "mit Verspätungen" returns 19 hits. Is this a regionalism? Or is this just an error? Or is this a correct use of zu in some sense?

• If you really searched for Verspäterungen instead of Verspätungen, that might explain the result
    – npst
    Oct 26 '20 at 9:17
  • Thanks for the proofing. It was a typo in the question, but the searches were correctly done.
    – user44591
    Oct 26 '20 at 9:27
  • This "zu" is correct. BTW: I get 256000 hits.
    – mic
    Oct 26 '20 at 9:38

"kommen" can carry a load of meanings in German, especially when used with prepositions. Not all of them can be found in the average dictionary.

"zu etwas kommen" can carry the meaning of "achieve something" or "reach a goal"

Wenn du weiter so faul bist, wirst du nie zu etwas kommen

Nur mit ehrlicher Arbeit kommt ein normaler Mensch niemals zu Reichtum

When used with an impersonate subject, the meaning changes to "something happens" or "something occurs" (much like the English "to come about")

Im Falle von Naturkatastrophen kann es zu Verspätungen kommen

Wenn die Batterien falsch eingesetzt werden, kann es zu Beschädigungen des Geräts kommen

[see DWDS, Paragraph (8)]

"Zu etwas kommen" can, in some contexts, imply the consequence of something. So in English you might say "to result in". It's one of many examples of verbs with prepositions. I try to explain the topic on my blog Verbs with Prepositions. I hope this helps.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.