Question

If Schadenfreude means joy at someone else's failure or ill-fortune, is there an antonym that means resentment at someone else's success or good fortune?

Note

This is a different kind of opposite to the one mentioned in this previous question Looking for the opposite of Schadenfreude

"resentment at someone else's success or good fortune?" We call that envy, "Neid" in German. – Roland Oct 26 at 11:40
    Wouldn't the opposite rather be something like empathy? – Polygnome Oct 26 at 12:43
    @Polygnome if it's an antonym in regard to the "joy"/"Freude" part of Schadenfreude, then yes. Or maybe even better: compassion/ Mitleid. – henning -- reinstate Monica Oct 27 at 11:23
    According to The Simpsons, the answer is "sour grapes" ;-) youtube.com/watch?v=B01e7n4RzZc – LeopardSkinPillBoxHat Oct 27 at 21:16
    Schadenleiden :v – raven Oct 29 at 12:55

Not really an answer to this particular question, but for completeness here's the four possible logical variations of this:

┃ You're happy about it   │  You're unhappy about it
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━╋━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┿━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
Someone's lucky   ┃  Gunst,                 │  Neid / Missgunst
                  ┃“Ich freue mich für dich”│
──────────────────╂─────────────────────────┼───────────────────────
Someone's unlucky ┃  Schadenfreude          │  Mitleid
| improve this answer | |
    This is unexpectedly useful! – gented Oct 28 at 17:15
    @gented it certainly is unexpectedly popular! Hoffentlich wird keiner neidisch, sondern gönnt mir die Upvotes. Ich habe Mitleid mit den anderen Antworten, keineswegs Schadenfreude dass sie weniger beliebt sind... – leftaroundabout Oct 29 at 20:43

Missgunst (translates somewhat literally into "failing to grant/allow something to someone") is probably what your looking for.

The antonym searched (so instead of joy over ones sorrow becomes sorrow over ones joy) seems the quite simple word (present in many languages):

Neid (envy, jealousy).

• Couldn't "Eifersucht" also be used for jealousy, or does that have a different connotation? – MattDMo Oct 27 at 22:43
    Eifersucht is mostly used for relationships, where one person receives or is assumed to receive affection by an outsider, so its not a simple synonym. – guidot Oct 27 at 22:59
  • OK, that makes sense. Thanks – MattDMo Oct 27 at 23:11

From yesterday, hardly used today:

Scheelsucht

Do you know as a "native speaker knows", that the term "from yesterday" refers to something oldfashioned in language? I found as first glance this: dict.leo.org/forum/… – Shegit Brahm Oct 28 at 15:27
    @ShegitBrahm: Since I'm one of the natives, yes, I do. – Pollitzer Oct 28 at 16:11
  • thanks, again what learned. My knowledge is small and I did not know that. – Shegit Brahm Oct 28 at 16:26

I couldn't resist a humorous answer...I think it's saurgräps.

welcome to German.SE. Is saurgräps the only word spoken in the video? - if not, I'd suggest a transscript of the relevant part. Can there be context described in the answer? – Shegit Brahm Oct 28 at 17:57
    Made my day! =) – Henrik Schumacher Oct 28 at 19:43
  • Funny, nonetheless more a remark for the comment section. – user unknown Oct 30 at 22:49
  • @userunknown: I didn't have enough reputation to post a comment...though I do now. – ulatekh Nov 11 at 17:13
  • @ulatekh: Then you have to decide, if your joke is worth waiting and earning the reputation to post it, or not. – user unknown Nov 12 at 15:28

I think the first question is, what's the real antonym. As a german speaker, I would see the antonym for Schadenfreude to be a word, that conveys "being happy that you're happy" (as antonym to "being happy that you're unhappy").

There is probably a word for this, maybe someone can comment or edit the answer.

As a phrase one would say "Ich freue mich für dich" / "Ich freue mich mit dir".

Another way to look at it (which does not feel like being the antonym to Schadenfreude in german) would be "I am unhappy that you're unhappy" and this would be "Mitleid".

"Es sei dir gegönnt" bzw. jemanden etwas gönnen

Welcome to German.SE. It is common sense to answer an english written question in english. Additionally it is a bit short - which can happen - and so maybe: is there an (online) resource that can be used to understand the term you write. – Shegit Brahm Oct 27 at 15:02
    @ShegitBrahm: Gefragt ist ein deutscher Ausdruck - Du mokierst Dich ernsthaft über das "bzw." zwischen den beiden? – user unknown Oct 30 at 22:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.