There is no entry in DUDEN dictionary for the word dar. I have found it in this sentence:

Dazu stellen wir im Folgenden die Zweckbindung der Verarbeitung Ihrer Daten, den Einsatz von Tracking-/Analyse-Tools, den Einsatz von Cookies, Social-Media-Buttons und Diensten Dritter dar und klären Sie über Ihre Rechte auf.

Why is the word dar used? What is its meaning?

German has separable verbs, and darstellen is one of them.

Futur I: Dazu werden wir die Zweckbindung ... darstellen.
Präsens: Dazu stellen wir die Zweckbindung ... dar.

In Präsens (and some other tenses) the verb must be separated, and then the former prefix moves to the very end of the sentence.

The sentence you posted consists of two main clauses, which are connected to each other with the word "und" immediately after "dar". So, the prefix "dar" stands where is has to be: at the very end of the main clause. And also the core of the verb stands where it belongs to: at position 2.

Addendum (Etymology)

Today the word dar can only be found as prefix or postfix in other words:

darstellen, darlegen, darbieten, darbringen, darreichen, ...
immerdar

In Middle High German (MHG) it used to be a distinct adverb:

MGH: dare, dar

Which derived from an Old High German (OHG) adverb

OHG: thara

(The english word there also derived from this root)
Both, the OHG and the MHG word are also the origin of the German adverb da, but also the demonstrative pronoun der (»Was weiß denn der?«) and the relative pronoun der (»Wehe dem, der mich schlug!«) are related to these words.

The meaning of dar was: "up to a certain point, up to a certain time"

• What is the origin of this prefix? Is it related to "da"?
    – jmizv
    Nov 12 '20 at 7:39
    Most separable prefixes exist as separate words as well, usually as prepositions, making dar a rare exception. The main takeaway is to always check the end of the clause for possible separated prefixes before looking up the verb in the dictionary.
    – RDBury
    Nov 12 '20 at 14:12
  • I would have thought the demonstrative and relative pronouns to be derivations from the definite article "der" (especially since I can as well do your examples with "die"). I would be surprised if they're not related to it. But if they are, does that mean the article derives from the same oprigin, too? And would that also hold for the English "the"? Nov 12 '20 at 17:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.