While playing a game I found quite a strange word "Hepp". This response is pronounced when you are given money or ammo. I tried to find this word in dictionaries, but my search wasn't successful. I found this word on Duden, but it just says that it's an interjection, and there is no definition at all. I think it might be some encouraging word. If there's the same word in English, could you tell me it?

• What "game" was this? While it is partly just what you present here, it is also 'a bit tainted'…. Please clear that up. – LаngLаngС Nov 12 '20 at 21:23
  • It was BioShock Infinite. I've already looked through this article before, but there's no connection with my word. – adfdisco Nov 12 '20 at 21:45

Since it is an interjection, the meaning of "Hepp" is heavily reliant on the context it is used in. I assume you are "thrown" the weapon or money in the game, and "Hepp!" would be an appropriate thing to say when you are throwing/passing someone an item. The function of the word in this context is to draw attention to the action, as opposed to just throwing something at someone without any words.

Additionally, I have also seen "Hepp!" used as an expression of excertion during a strenuous throwing act. E.g. "The farmer yelled "Hepp!" as he hived the wooden logs on the pyre."

Based on @Asmus's comment below, I decided to update this answer: "Heb!" the imperative of the verb "heben" (i.e. to lift or to heave) is a plausible source of the expression "Hepp!". Based on my experience, "Hepp!" is commonly used to coordinate efforts between multiple people when lifting, catching or holding things.

I assume that "Hepp" comes from heavy works, that need coordination for all people who help. Like lifting heavy things up and all need to lift at the same time. So one of the workers say "Hepp --- Hepp --- Hepp" in regular time steps. – Allerleirauh Nov 13 '20 at 6:23
    @Allerleirauh perhaps it's reasonable to assume that it is a contracted form of "heben" [lifting], perhaps given as an imperative, i.e. "heb!" [lift]. Similarly, we also have the interjection "Hopp!" which derives from "hüpfen" [jumping], as in "let's‚ go!". – Asmus Nov 13 '20 at 8:39
  • Interesting hypothesis @Allerleirauh. When I served as a pioneer in the Bundesheer, there were indeed drill commands for heavy work. Among them: Eeeeeer - hebt! for lifting objects in a group. – phipsgabler Nov 13 '20 at 8:51
    In conclusion, I would like to say that @Asmus was right, and it was just the word "heben" in the imperative mood. I've downloaded the English version, and I heard that she says, "Ammo! Take it!". Thanks, everyone, for your help. – adfdisco Nov 13 '20 at 20:45
  • I'll pressume that it patterns with geben, gib!. The vowel quality differs, but the quantity is short in both cases, and hib could become hepp through Auslautverhärtung and Schwa (or Schwebelaut). I'm not sure about the initial, would like to see a W- for it to relate to weap-ons directly (cp. alarma "get weapons!" on the one hand, consider that help, Hilfe has no known origin. Oh, sorry, I like to waffle). – vectory Nov 17 '20 at 6:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.