What is the difference between Entscheidung and Entschluss? In my mother tongue they both represent the English word decision.

Welcome to german.SE :) Did you use a dictionary? Can you explain why it did not help? – choXer Nov 24 '20 at 10:51
  • @choXer Sure. I looked up and most dictionaries just top the translation "decision" dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/german-english/entscheidung dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/german-english/entschluss Based on the examples, I have no clue what the difference is. – ludgo Nov 24 '20 at 13:20
    The English Wiktionary lists "decision" as a possible translation for both words, but they're different meanings of the word. A "decision" (Entscheidung) is a choice between alternatives. With "decision"(Entschluss) means with finality, and certainty. – RDBury Nov 24 '20 at 13:23
  • @RDBury finally someone put it understandable. Thank you – ludgo Nov 25 '20 at 9:02
  • Perhaps den Entschluss fassen, etw zu tun = 'to make up one's mind to do sth' versus eine (endgültige) Entscheidung treffen = 'to make a (final) decision' can be helpful. Sich entscheiden is much more a resolution in the mind, whereas sich entschließen means 'to suit the action to the word or thought'. Ein Entschluss is closer to the intended consequences and actions: Ihre Entscheidung, nicht in Berlin zu bleiben, stand längst fest. Sie hatte den konkreten Entschluss gefasst, noch heute einen Makler aufzusuchen und ein paar alte Freunde aus WG-Zeiten in Freiburg anzurufen. – Ralf Joerres Nov 27 '20 at 10:27

What is your mother tongue? In English there is a difference.

Entschluss:

He made a resolution to get up early.

Er fasste den Entschluss, früh aufzustehen. (Er entschloss sich, früh aufzustehen.)

Entscheidung:

The next morning, he made the decision not to do it.

Am nächsten Morgen, machte er die Entscheidung es nicht zu tun. (Am nächsten Morgen, entschied er es nicht zu tun.

Mir wird der Unterschied nicht klar. – Carsten S Nov 24 '20 at 12:03
  • @CarstenS Ein Entschluss ist nicht unbedingt eine Entscheidung. Ich kann mich entschließen etwas zu tun, aber schlussendlich eine andere Entscheidung treffen. Eine Entscheidung ist sozsagen "finaler".. – choXer Nov 24 '20 at 12:10

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.