I am trying to learn German and struggling with some aspects of pronunciation.

I have heard the word "Schnee" pronounced here and elsewhere, and it sounds to me like it's pronounced /ʃniː/. However, the transcriptions I have seen change the vowel, making it /ʃneː/. Also, I have been told that the second way is correct. Am I simply hearing the vowel wrong? Does this differ by dialect? Is it something else?

• In the examples you've linked, the people pronounce it correctly as /ʃneː/. There is no dialect or anything. I'm afraid, you're hearing it wrong. Does your native language differentiate between both sounds?
    – Arsak
    Dec 5 '20 at 0:22
  • It is worth saying that the voices of the various speakers (hermanthegerman, firmian, SophieSprache, fona, Thonatas, DagmarB) of the various speakers are distinguishable. The question is then whether, to a native speaker, the voices are saying the same thing. The answer appears, from other comments, to be "yes", they are saying the same thing, indicating that to a native speaker, there is no phonemic distinction between the vowel produced by SophieSprache (and closely followed by DagmarB) and the vowel produced by Thonatas. Continued in the next comment ...
    – user02814
    Dec 5 '20 at 7:22
  • I hear the vowels as being extremely different because they represent two phonemically distinct sounds in my language. However, you just have to accept that a native speaker hears them as being (in terms of meaning), the same. So you can speak like Thonatas, or like SophieSprache, and a native German speaker will apparently not hear any important difference in what you are saying. I think it was a great pity that your question was close off! The answer that was referenced in the comments is actually the exact OPPOSITE of your problem. Continued ...
    – user02814
    Dec 5 '20 at 7:26
  • The person who posted the question in german.stackexchange.com/questions/20035/… was incapable of distinguishing the two sounds. The problem that you and I have is that the sounds produced, for example, by Thonatas and SophieSprache, sound radically different ... and we have to train ourselves to accept them as actually being phonemically identical!
    – user02814
    Dec 5 '20 at 7:28

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.