I am trying to learn German and struggling with some aspects of pronunciation.

I have heard the word "Schnee" pronounced here and elsewhere, and it sounds to me like it's pronounced /ʃniː/. However, the transcriptions I have seen change the vowel, making it /ʃneː/. Also, I have been told that the second way is correct. Am I simply hearing the vowel wrong? Does this differ by dialect? Is it something else?

• In the examples you've linked, the people pronounce it correctly as /ʃneː/. There is no dialect or anything. I'm afraid, you're hearing it wrong. Does your native language differentiate between both sounds?
    – Arsak
    Dec 5, 2020 at 0:22
  • It is worth saying that the voices of the various speakers (hermanthegerman, firmian, SophieSprache, fona, Thonatas, DagmarB) of the various speakers are distinguishable. The question is then whether, to a native speaker, the voices are saying the same thing. The answer appears, from other comments, to be "yes", they are saying the same thing, indicating that to a native speaker, there is no phonemic distinction between the vowel produced by SophieSprache (and closely followed by DagmarB) and the vowel produced by Thonatas. Continued in the next comment ... Dec 5, 2020 at 7:22
  • I hear the vowels as being extremely different because they represent two phonemically distinct sounds in my language. However, you just have to accept that a native speaker hears them as being (in terms of meaning), the same. So you can speak like Thonatas, or like SophieSprache, and a native German speaker will apparently not hear any important difference in what you are saying. I think it was a great pity that your question was close off! The answer that was referenced in the comments is actually the exact OPPOSITE of your problem. Continued ... Dec 5, 2020 at 7:26
  • The person who posted the question in german.stackexchange.com/questions/20035/… was incapable of distinguishing the two sounds. The problem that you and I have is that the sounds produced, for example, by Thonatas and SophieSprache, sound radically different ... and we have to train ourselves to accept them as actually being phonemically identical! Dec 5, 2020 at 7:28

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.