Is it possible for "für" to be followed by an adjective like the sentence below. I find it strange as so far I have only seen "dafür" or "für + Noun". "Für" can be somewhat translated into english as "for", and "for" is never followed by an adjective...

• Ich halte es für richtig, dass er absagt.
  • @guidot I would expect an explanation of why this is possible in an answer. Also, no, it shouldn't be "consider as". I would translate as "I consider it right that he cancelled."
    – Roland
    Dec 11 '20 at 10:01
  • @Roland: You may want to reconsider this meta question, especially the section starting "Nevertheless", stating your comments should be deleted.
    – guidot
    Dec 11 '20 at 10:18
  • @Roland -- I would say that "to consider as" is closer betrachten, while this construction is more like "to take for". There is considerable overlap but "consider" implies that the person is aware that the belief is just an opinion: "I consider you to be a good painter." Meanwhile "to take for" implies that the belief is as fact, especially when it is mistaken somehow: "Sorry I hit you; I took you for an intruder." My understanding is that the situation is about the same with betrachten and für __ nehmen.
    – RDBury
    Dec 11 '20 at 11:11

The verb halten in combination with für forms a kind of "Phrasal verb", in other words the combination takes on a different meaning than the meaning of the two words together would imply. (With a separable verb, in contrast, the preposition does not have to be part of a prepositional phase. I don't know the official name for these things, but "Phrasal verb" seems descriptive.) There are are a number of them, for example einladen with auf -- "treat to", richten with auf -- "point at", sehen with nach -- "see about". In this case halten with für means "take for", as in believing something is something else. For example Hält er mich für einen Trottel? -- "Does he take me for a fool?" (from Wiktionary). You can also put an adjective in place of the something else to get something like your example: Ich halte es für richtig ... -- "I take it as right ..." So it's the unusual circumstance of this one verb plus preposition combination which happens to allow a adjective to take the place of one of the nouns that make the für + adjective possible here; it doesn't normally occur.

Yes, that's possible, see DWDS.

Keep in mind, that für can't be considered separately, but is part of the construction jemanden/etwas für etwas halten (Engl. consider)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.