A Die Chefin episode had this sentence among the subtitles:

Vielleicht hängt der mit drin.

"mit drin" appears most peculiar to me and I would like to find an authoritative reference that explains the grammar of this usage. Neither Duden nor DWDS associates hängen with "mit drin". The only reference I have found to it is in Reverso where it is translated as "implicated", giving 2 examples in context. I have not found a reference that translates hängen as to implicate.

zusammenhängen: A hängt mit B zusammen.
A is related to B.
A is connected with B.

That would be my guess. There is a certain connection and I think that is what you mean.

"mit drin hängen" / "mit drinhängen" (colloquial language): In einer Sache mitdrinhängen
Being involved in something
to be complicit in sth.

DeepL:

Vielleicht hängt der mit drin.

Maybe he's involved.

Here is an example from Tagesschau.

Excellent! Yes, looking for drinhängen showed an identification with drinstecken, which is found in Duden, although the translation to "complicit" does not appear to be there. Thank you for providing so many great references. – user44591 Dec 16 '20 at 1:05
  • The best way to show your appreciation of @choXer answer is to up-vote the answer and, if you think that it is correct, to mark it correct by clicking the big tick! – user02814 Dec 16 '20 at 1:09

"mit drin" means being included.

"mit drin hängen" on the other hand means being involved in a crime, conspiracy or alike.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.