When crossing a specific old house which was abandoned, one friend used an expression for it that sounded like Klabacha / Klabaca. Since he only speaks german, i presume it to be a German word.

Googling couldn't spot such word and translating "old house" or "empty house" gives no similar results (only verlassenes Haus or altes Haus). Also didn't find such word in my German - English / English - German dictionary (from Porto Editora, portuguese firm).

What's the real word and its meaning?

  • 2
    Might it have been "Baracke"? – Torsten Link Dec 19 '20 at 14:09
  • @TorstenLink definitely not baracke, that is like the portuguese "barraca" and I'd have done the association right away – Tiago Martins Peres 李大仁 Dec 19 '20 at 14:36

I took a closer look and the word seems to have a Rotwelsch origin.

Klabacha - baufälliges, verwahrlostes Haus

meaning "dilapidated shabby house"

Original answer:

There are several roughly similar sounding words. But the most likely is


what means "little/primitive hut" or "pub".

pronunciation (and some more information)


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.