The Konjunktiv I is being created by using the stem of the present tense (adding e), while the Konjunktiv II is being created using the stem of the past tense (adding t).

In the course of that, that is my understanding, are all Konjunktiv I forms replaced by Konjunktiv II forms, if they are similar to the Präteritum forms. In that case, the Konjunktiv II forms are being used as Konjunktiv I and the Ersatzform "würde" is being used to create Konjunktiv II forms.

My question is this: The 1st person singular ("I" = "ich"), 1st person plural ("we" = "wir"), 3rd person plural ("they" = "sie") always seem to require the Ersatzform when it comes to regular verbs. Is that a rule?

spielen (reg. Verb)

Present tense:

Ich spiele
Du spielst
Er/sie/es spielt
Wir spielen
Ihr spielt
Sie spielen

Past tense:

Ich spielte
Du spieltest
Er/sie/es spielte
Wir spielten
Ihr spieltet
Sie spielten

Konjunktiv I:

Ich *spiele
Du spielest
Er/sie/es spiele
Wir *spielen
Ihr spielet
Sie *spielen

It is not correct, that Konjunktiv I forms are formed by adding a t. For example, 2. Person Singular Präsens Konjunktiv I of spielen is du spielest, 3. Person is er/sie/es spiele. Please update your answer so we can understand whether your question is based on this false premise or whether your question persists after this. And of course: Hello and Welcome to German.SE! – jonathan.scholbach Dec 23 '20 at 22:58
  • Apologies. They are created by adding „e“, I have changed it and changed my question. There was still something that threw me off. :) Thanks and thanks for the welcome. – at_ Dec 24 '20 at 6:15
  • No worries. Thanks for clarifying the question. – jonathan.scholbach Dec 24 '20 at 6:24
    German tenses are so different from English tenses, that you can't use the term past tense when talking about German grammar. You have to use terms like Präteritum or Perfekt. In this case Präteritum is correct. I corrected this and also made some layout improvements. – Hubert Schölnast Dec 24 '20 at 12:36

I give you all these examples just for 1st person singular (»ich«). It is very similar for the other constellations.

• Indikativ

Ich bin Österreicher.
    Ich will fort.
    Ich darf zu dir.
    Ich muss heim.
    Ich spiele Klavier.
    Ich trinke Wasser.

• Konjunktiv I (indirect speech)
    Don't use Ersatzform if Indikativ ≠ Konjunktiv I

Man sagt, ich sei Österreicher.
    Man sagt, ich wolle fort.
    Man sagt, ich dürfe zu dir.
    Man sagt, ich müsse heim.

You optionally can use the Ersatzform (Konjunktiv II) if Indikativ = Konjunktiv I, but you still can use Konjunktiv I (you don't have to use Ersatzform, it's just an option).

Man sagt, ich spiele Klavier. ↔︎ Man sagt, ich spielte Klavier.
    Man sagt, ich trinke Wasser. ↔︎ Man sagt, ich tränke Wasser.

• Konjunktiv II (unrealistic wishes, unrealistic options etc.)
    When you talk about unrealistic things (wishes, options, ...), you can't use Konjunktiv I.

Ich wäre gerne Österreicher, aber ich bin es nicht.
    An deiner Stelle wollte ich auch fort, aber ich bin nicht du.
    Wenn ich Karl wäre, dürfte ich zu dir, aber ich bin nicht Karl.
    Wenn Ilse zuhause wäre, müsste ich jetzt heim, aber sie ist noch im Büro.
    Ich spielte gerne Klavier, aber hier ist keines.
    Ich tränke gerne Wasser, aber hier gibt es keines.

• Konjunktiv III (this is not an official term) (aka »würde-Konjunktiv«, another unofficial term)
    This form has it's origin in colloquial speech, but is so widespread, that you already find it in literature, and according to my personal subjective assessment for "normal" verbs (not sein and not a modal verb) it even is more frequently used than the two "official" subjunctive forms.

• Indirect speech in "Konjunktiv III"
      rarely used (better use Konjunktiv I):

Man sagt, ich würde Österreicher sein.

frequently used:

Man sagt, ich würde fort wollen.
      Man sagt, ich würde zu dir dürfen.
      Man sagt, ich würde heim müssen.

very frequently used:

Man sagt, ich würde Klavier spielen.
      Man sagt, ich würde Wasser trinken.

• unrealistic wish, unrealistic option etc. in "Konjunktiv III"
      rarely used (better use Konjunktiv I):

Ich würde gerne Österreicher sein, aber ich bin es nicht.

frequently used:

An deiner Stelle würde ich auch fort wollen, aber ich bin nicht du.
      Wenn ich Karl wäre, würde ich zu dir dürfen, aber ich bin nicht Karl.
      Wenn Ilse zuhause wäre, würde ich jetzt heim müssen, aber sie ist noch im Büro.

very frequently used:

Ich würde gerne Klavier spielen, aber hier ist keines.
      Ich würde gerne Wasser trinken, aber hier gibt es keines.

So, here are the rules (rules of thumb, these are no hard rules):

• If the verb is »sein« (to be)
    Do not use the Ersatzform, do not use "würde-Konjunktiv"

• Use Konjunktiv I for indirect speech if the verb is »sein«

Man sagt, ich sei Österreicher.

• Use Konjunktiv II unrealistic wishes, options etc. if the verb is »sein«

Ich wäre gerne Österreicher, aber ich bin es nicht.

• if the verb is a modal verb (müssen, dürfen, können, wollen, sollen, mögen)

• indirect speech

If you want to write in German, better don't use Ersatzform or "würde-Konjunktiv" for indirect speech. Also avoid these form when you want to use high quality Standard German in spoken language.

• Use Konjunktiv I for formal indirect speech if the verb is a modal verb

Man sagt, ich wolle fort.

In a less formal environment, like having smalltalk with friends, using Konjunktiv I is the linguistic equivalent of being overdressed. In this case better use "würde-Konjunktiv".

• Use "würde-Konjunktiv" for informal indirect speech if the verb is a modal verb

Man sagt, ich würde fort wollen.

• unrealistic wishes, options etc.
      In case of unrealistic wishes, options etc. "würde-Konjunktiv" is the best choice also for modal verbs, even in formal settings and for written German.

• Use "würde-Konjunktiv" for unrealistic wishes, options etc. if the verb is a modal verb

An deiner Stelle würde ich auch fort wollen, aber ich bin nicht du.

• for all other verbs

• indirect speech

If you want to write in German, better use the Ersatzform (Konjunktiv II). Also "würde-Konjunktiv" is allowed. This applies also for high quality spoken Standard German. For informal speech you should prefer "würde-Konjunktiv".

• Use Ersatzform (Konjunktiv II) for formal indirect speech if the verb is a "normal" verb if you want

Man sagt, ich tränke Wasser.

• Use "würde-Konjunktiv" for informal speech. It is also a very good option for formal speech and written texts.

Man sagt, ich würde Wasser trinken.

• unrealistic wishes, options etc.
      In case of unrealistic wishes, options etc. "würde-Konjunktiv" is the best choice for "normal" verbs in all settings.

• Use "würde-Konjunktiv" for unrealistic wishes, options etc. if the verb is a "normal" verb

Ich würde gerne Wasser trinken, aber hier gibt es keines.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.