https://www.dw.com/de/top-thema-mit-vokabeln-archiv-2020/a-51533674

There the articles start with phrases like these:

• Thema vom Freitag, 10. Januar 2020
  • Thema von Freitag, 31. Januar 2020
  • Thema von Freitag, 07. Februar 2020
  • Thema vom Freitag, 14. Februar 2020
  • Thema von Freitag, 06.03.2020
  • Thema vom Freitag, 13. März 2020

Von Freitag? Vom Freitag? Does it matter? Why did this happen? I think it's correct to say "am Freitag" with m. So is vom correct? Somewhat related, have people been saying "an Heiligabend"? Or "am Heiligabend"? I only heard "an" with n, from my friend.

I would appreciate help.

Es heißt eigentlich "am Heiligabend", aber seit 2019 setzt sich immer mehr dieses unsäglich nervige "an Weihnachten" & Co. durch, was mir tierisch auf die Nerven geht, und deswegen kann man auch sagen "an Heiligabend".
    – äüö
    Dec 29 '20 at 13:27
    Ergänzung zum Kommentar von @äüö: In Österreich heißt es nicht »am Heiligabend« sondern »am Heiligen Abend« denn der halbe Feiertag, der am 24. Dezember im Kalender steht, heißt in Österreich nicht »Heiligabend« sondern »Heiliger Abend«. Die darauffolgenden Feiertage heißen: 25.12. = »Christtag« und 26.12. = »Stefanitag« wobei die Betonung auf dem langen A in Stefan liegt: Stefaanitag. In österreichischen Kalendern kommt das Wort Weihnacht nicht vor. Siehe auch de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feiertage_in_Österreich Dec 29 '20 at 17:11
  • @HubertSchölnast Mal wieder eine Gemeinsamkeit mit Schwäbisch.
    – Stephie
    Dec 29 '20 at 20:20

Those dates are all in the dative case, but there is a degree of flexibility possible regarding the preposition von / vom < von dem/diesem or an / am < an dem/diesem, because the determiner dem can be forbidden, allowed or mandatory.

• von heute / (vor)gestern / (über)morgen – relative dates (‘today’, ‘yesterday’, ‘tomorrow’) can never be preceded by vom and neither by von dem
  • von/vom Montag / Dienstag / Mittwoch / Donnerstag / Freitag / Samstag / Sonnabend / Sonntag – weekdays can be preceded by either von or vom, the latter necessarily implying the most recent one. This also applies to related feasts and holidays like Gründonnerstag, Karfreitag, Ostersonntag, Pfingstmontag, Veilchendienstag, Aschermittwoch and Heiligabend.
  • vom n-ten [m-ten / Januar/Jänner / Februar/Feber / März / Mai / Juni/Juno / Juli/Julei / August / September / Oktober / November / Dezember / des/dieses/diesen/letzten Monats] – calendar dates with implied, ordinal, named or relative month and possibly year require vom, but von dem would sound stilted, strange or plain wrong.
  • von/vom <weekday>, dem/den <calendar date> – in a combination of weekday and calendar date, one would usually combine either von with dem or vom with den, but von … den and vom … dem also do not sound wrong. One can even omit den/dem and the date can then be an apposition in the nominative case with n-ter instead of a dative attribute with n-ten (never n-tem).
  • Thank you! Interesting that von dem sounds bad. In English, I think "from the 10th of January" works. And "from 10th of January" sounds bad. I don't understand the last point. Jan 1 at 2:35
  • the last point considers the case Friday the third which differs in various constelations as it may be paired variously with prepositions. I often see advertisements with a date, no preposition, "Freitag, dem 13. Aug." where I would say "den", while the Movie of the same name uses nominative "der" (because it's not an appointment but well a title). It needlessly complicates the answer, requiring additional consideration, which can be found under other questions, I'm sure.
    – vectory
    Jan 1 at 3:26
    @vectory I don't think it needlessly complicates the answer, I just don't understand it. If this answer already exists at another question, I'm sorry. I can understand use of der, also den. I understand "von Freitag, dem _," but I don't understand "vom Freitag, den _." I guess it's like "am Freitag, den _." I'm not sure. Jan 2 at 2:16
    For me, "vom Freitag, den ..." and "am Freitag, den ...", although often used, sound so wrong that it hurts, because the grammatical cases mismatch. I'm definitely not the "one" who would combine "vom with den".
    – Armali
    Jan 2 at 22:32
  • @Armali How often? Is there a difference between using von and vom, first of all, and if not den, what then? Vom Freitag, dem? Von Freitag, dem? Or? Jan 4 at 9:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.