Aus vielen Verben können wir ganz einfach Nomen bilden, das heißt die Nominalisierung. Im Allgemeinen kann man auch ein Nomen mit '-ung' bilden oder '-keit', '-heit', '-nis', 'Ge-'. Dann, was ist der Unterschied zwischen der Bedeutungen? Zum Beispiel, "das Lesen" und "die Lesung".

These also exist in English: "Did you have a good read?" "The reading of the will". There are also "-er" (& "-erin" in German) forms. Most dictionaries list the meanings under the corresponding suffixes, but the straight nominalization has no suffix so that one requires some explanation.
    – RDBury
    Jan 11, 2021 at 3:13
    @RDBury Please don't (ab-)use comments for giving half-baked answers. I see that you provide a lot of good content to the site, often in comments. But this is not what comments are meant to be for. (See german.stackexchange.com/help/privileges/comment) Please elaborate your ideas into a full answer. Aligning with the infrastructure of this site will multiply the value of your contributions, which I find to be very good. Jan 11, 2021 at 15:21
  • @jonathan.scholbach: I really didn't there there was an answer (half-baked or otherwise) in there. There's a comparison with English which doesn't imply anything about what happens in German, and I pointed out that much of the question can be answered by a dictionary lookup. I feel I'm in limbo here since I pretty good at looking up answers to my own questions, so I rarely post them, but there are people much more qualified to answer other people's questions than I am. I'll limit my comments in the future though.
    – RDBury
    Jan 12, 2021 at 4:44

1 Answer 1

In der Regel beschreibt das substantivierte Verb eher einen Vorgang, das Ausführen der Tätigkeit, und die "Substantivierung durch Suffixderivation" mit -ung eher eine konkrete Seinseinheit, eine Entität, die in der Regel einen Ort in Raum und Zeit hat, mitunter auch das Ergebnis der ausgeführten Handlung.

Diese Regel wird regelmäßig auch bei der Übersetzung ins Englische deutlich: das substantivierte Verb kann in der Regel mit der Verlaufsform ins Englische übersetzt werden, für das Suffixderivat gibt es in der Regel ein eigenes englisches Wort.

Außerdem kann das substantivierte Verb in der Regel durch eine Konstruktion mit "Infinitiv mit zu" ersetzt werden, ohne dass sich der Sinn verändert. In der Regel ist die Konstruktion mit Infinitiv mit zu sogar stilistisch besser.

Hier einige Beispiele:

1. Konkrete Entität:

Jetzt ist schnelles Handeln erforderlich. / Jetzt ist es erforderlich, schnell zu handeln. [Now it is necessary to act quickly.]
Die Handlung des Films ist langweilig. [The plot of the movie is boring.]

Das Wohnen in Berlin wird immer teurer. / In Berlin zu wohnen wird immer teurer. [Living in Berlin gets more and more expensive.]
Die Wohnung ist gemütlich. [The apartment is cozy.]

1. Ergebnis:

Das Verbinden der Bauteile wird mit Holzleim vorgenommen. [The parts are being connected with glue.]
Es konnte keine Verbindung hergestellt werden. [It was impossible to establish a connection.]

Das gilt auch für das Verb lesen:

Das Lesen fällt ihr leicht. / Es fällt ihr leicht, zu lesen. [Reading is easy for her.]
Die Lesung ist beendet. [The lecture has ended.]

Auch hier beschreibt das Lesen die Tätigkeit zu lesen, während eine Lesung eine Entität in Raum und Zeit ist.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.