What does this mean: "haben und mehrwollhaben" ? I could not find it anywhere, dictionary nor google. Can someone help me, please?

Please, quote the exact passage. Mehrwollhaben is not a German verb, not even a newly constructed one in accordance with construction rules. I would be very surprised if Nietzsche had written it. Maybe he wrote mehr haben wollen (to want to have more), but these are three distinct words, not one. – Björn Friedrich Jan 12 at 17:52
    Your unnamed source butchered the German (see here). – David Vogt Jan 12 at 17:55
  • @DavidVogt, this cannot be the source. Neither Nietzsche nor the phrase haben und mehrwollhaben is mentioned anywhere. Moreover, the linked article is about the noun Mehrhabenwollen, whereas the question is about a (non existing verb) mehrwollhaben. – Björn Friedrich Jan 12 at 18:02
    @BjörnFriedrich I wanted to show is that mehrwollhaben is incorrect by linking an article using the correct term. – David Vogt Jan 12 at 18:13
  • @DavidVogt, oh, I missed this intention of you. Is that why you used butchered? I looked it up and my dictionary said abschlachten. So, I was confused what you were supposed to say with that. ;-) – Björn Friedrich Jan 12 at 18:17

The made-up word "mehrwollhaben" seems to be a mistaken quote by the philosopher Alasdair MacIntyre in his book After Virtue. MacIntyre claims that Nietzsche translated the philosophical concept of Pleonexia as "haben und mehrwollhaben".

But since this word doesn't make sense in German, we can assume MacIntyre meant to refer to the far more logical "mehrhabenwollen". We can assume that Nietzsche used this version, being "haben und mehrhabenwollen", "to have and to (always) want to have more".

Pleonexia is a philosophical concept that Wikipedia says

is strictly defined as "the insatiable desire to have what rightfully belongs to others", suggesting what Ritenbaugh describes as "ruthless self-seeking and an arrogant assumption that others and things exist for one's own benefit".

But MacIntyre's claim that Nietzsche used mehrwollhaben is wrong. It's obviously Mehrhabenwollen (or, of course, mehr haben wollen). – David Vogt Jan 12 at 18:14
  • Better now? - Besser so? – Henning Kockerbeck Jan 12 at 18:43
    @mtwde At least "Mehrhabenwollen" seems to be an established term in philosophical discourse, see for example here, here or here. – Henning Kockerbeck Jan 12 at 23:07
    @HenningKockerbeck Shouldn't "Mehrhabenwollen" always be capitalized in this case? However this is about Nietzsche, I think one source for the quote is this, webcache link By the way, another spelling used in this text is "Mehr-haben-wollen". – mtwde Jan 12 at 23:56
    @mtwde, thanks for the link. It demonstrates very nicely the nonsense that is often spouted when quoting. Nietzsche wrote: "Haben und haben wollen, Wachstum mit einem Wort [...]" But instead of simply referring to Wachstum, people quote the much longer verb phrase and even do so incorrectly. – Björn Friedrich Jan 13 at 5:04

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.