Das Coronavirus geht wohl an kaum jemandem spurlos vorbei - so oder so. Eine neue Studie legt nun allerdings nahe, dass selbst diejenigen, die eine Infektion überstanden haben und danach als offiziell genesen gelten, eines oft nicht sind: wirklich gesund.

What's the meaning of "eines oft nicht sind: wirklich gesund"? What's the subject word for 'sind'?

@mic, no, and that’s one reason that answers in comments are bad.
    – Carsten S
    Jan 13 at 14:45
  • @Carsten - You are right, but now, why did I come to think it was "eines", weird. On the other hand, a wrong answer does not deserve a place where it conquers with other answers. So, in my eyes it shows that comments are the only right place for it.
    – mic
    Jan 13 at 14:55
  • @mic Consider deleting your comment with the misleading answer? Jan 13 at 15:26
    @mic, answers can be downvoted, comments not. Btw, you can delete your own comment s ;)
    – Carsten S
    Jan 13 at 15:26
  • @mic: Rest assured, that wrong answers are downvoted quickly enough here to give some incentive for deletion. I removed the wrong comment.
    – guidot
    Jan 13 at 16:43

The strategy I would suggest is the following: If the finite verb is in final position, go left until you find the beginning of the sentence, which must be a subordinating conjunction or a relative pronoun or similar, i.e. some word that can introduce a subordinate clause.

dass selbst diejenigen, die eine Infektion überstanden haben und danach als offiziell genesen gelten, eines oft nicht sind

Then remove any extraneous parts, which in this case includes a long relative clause that I have marked in italics.

dass die(jenigen) eines nicht sind
that they one thing not are
that there's one thing they are not

This makes it easy to see that the subject is die(jenigen).

I used code formatting to align the sentence with its gloss. The alternative would have been using a table.
    – David Vogt
    Jan 13 at 19:01
  • I see. That's clear. My internet dictionary doesn't show eines. Why is it eines? This is normative singluar of ein?
    – Chan Kim
    Jan 13 at 23:32
    @ChanKim It's the neuter singular of the pronoun (not the article) ein. The masculine form of the pronoun is used for persons da kommt schon wieder einer (here comes another one, einer = ein Mann), the neuter for things eines sollte man nicht vergessen (one thing should not be forgot, eines/eins = eine Sache).
    – David Vogt
    Jan 13 at 23:57
  • Ah, das ist klar! danke!
    – Chan Kim
    Jan 14 at 9:07

The sentence at the bottom of it is:

Sie sind nicht wirklich gesund.

The sie refers to dienjenigen, i.e. to those who recovered from Covid-19.

The sentence in its entirety is syntactically correct but of course rather twisted, so I am not surprised you find it difficult. Translated it would be:

A new study suggests that even those who recovered from infection and are officially considered recovered often in fact are one thing not: truly healthy.

The sentence sounds in German as manneristic as in English. Or in order to keep up the style: The sentence sounds in both languages nothing but one: manneristic.

• @infinitezero Okay, if you say so... I change it. Kind regards. Jan 13 at 15:24
  • hi! thank you . ist diejenigen normative or dative? It looks like dative because of -en to me. and because the real subject is eines, shouldn't it be dative? (to those..) again because I don't have a good dictionary..
    – Chan Kim
    Jan 14 at 9:10
  • @ChanKim Diejenigen is nominative. Here are all forms: Wer? Diejenigen - Wem? Denjenigen - Wessen? Derjenigen - Wen? Diejenigen. That's all plural of course. Singular forms are: Wer? Derjenige (diejenige, dasjenige) - Wem? Demjenigen (derjenigen, demjenigen) - Wessen? Desjenigen (derjenigen, desjenigen) - Wen? Denjenigen (diejenige, dasjenige). - I am sorry, I know this is totally confusing, and I would not like to be forced to learn it as a second language. Jan 16 at 14:31
  • Geiselman I see. I think I can understand(and memorize) the derjenigen changes. Thank you for the kind explanation!
    – Chan Kim
    Jan 17 at 10:47

subject is "diejenigen"

diejenigen [die eine Infektion überstanden haben und danach als offiziell genesen gelten] eines oft nicht sind: wirklich gesund.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.