There is a topic about wenig and niedrig but it is not clear for me. As you know we could not use these words everywhere interchangeabely. For example:

Wenn sie ein geringes Einkommen haben, zahlen sie nur wenig Steuern.

Another example :

Die Anzahl an Bällen ist zu gering.
Ich habe zu wenige Bälle.

So I want to know a good explanation for them.

• Which topic "is there"? this one? german.stackexchange.com/q/41452/36160 ? please insert your related topics. And please add which difference you understood until today / where you see equality. Right now I understand that your problem is: same object/context, (same) sentence - different word used -> why is it so? Jan 17, 2021 at 9:45

1 Answer 1

The words have a close semantic sense but their application differs

• Wenig. Indefinite pronoun, adverb. Meaning "not much", "small" or "few in" quantity.

• Niedrig. Adjective, adverb. Meaning "falling short" or "low level", e.g: "The barrel had a low/short level of water".

• Kaum. An adverb, meaning "barely" (enough), literally: "Kaum genug".

• Gering. Can be an adverb, adjective, or noun. Meaning is very close to the above, but closer to "scarce".

• Ein bisschen. Indefinite pronoun, or adjective. Literally "a little bit".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.