I've just had a small talk with someone and he asked me "Brauchst du Hilfe dabei?" and it was completely understandable of course and the conversation kept going on but after that I was thinking about the question myself if it was correct or not. Then I wanted to ask the question here.

Normally, I would say "Brauchst du Hilfe damit?" because in my mind I would've said it in English like "Do you need help with it?". Therefore I would use "damit" since I would use "with it" in English counterpart obviously but when I check with online translators and do some sentence search, I saw that it's mostly used with "dabei".

Any ideas why and would it be normal to use damit instead?

I think, in every day conversation there is not much of a difference. Both dabei and damit are common in this context and will be understood when interchanged.

The difference may be one of style. For example, when speaker A puts the focus on an action or a process, it might be more apt for speaker B to use dabei:

A: Ich habe Probleme bei meinen Hausaufgaben (also beim Erledigen der Hausaufgaben).
B: Brauchst du Hilfe dabei?

When A puts the focus on the object that makes problems, it might be more apt for B to use damit:

A: Ich habe Probleme mit meinem Auto.
B: Brauchst du Hilfe damit?

Often, the pronominal adverb is simply omitted:

B: Brauchst du Hilfe?

Hey, thanks for the answer. That makes sense actually because I was trying to pull something so there was an "action". Maybe it's better to omit the adverb and just use "Brauchst du Hilfe?". Thanks again. – kenan Jan 20 at 8:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.