Or could it, also, mean (in some contexts, at least) "Should A be this, B would be that" (which is called "future less vivid conditional" in Ancient Greek). I'm asking this because the two published English translations of a sentence that interests me, which begins with

Sollte die Ewigkeit etwas anderes sein als das leere Immersein,...

render it as "If eternity were something other than...", i.e., as counter-factual. I'm wondering whether this is the only possible interpretation.

The quote is from Heideggers talk Begriff der Zeit, see Google Books.

Welcome to German.SE. Call me oldschool - is the headline part of the question body? Please consider repeating it - for me the headline is the summarized topic and I read the question body at once without the headline. This is mainly as I struggle a bit to get your context, example and question separated. – Shegit Brahm Jan 24 at 9:07
  • Side note: For a clear counter-factual, I'd have said "Wäre die Ewigkeit ..." – cbeleites unhappy with SX Jan 24 at 15:32

It's not necessarily counter-factual. Sollte may also introduce a hypothesis.

Sollte er schon daheim sein, dann müsste er auch deinen Brief schon gelesen haben.

• While this answers the title question, it is not helpful for the given quote, where eternity is unlikely to change its nature while we are waiting - so the deficiency of the question carries over to this answer. – guidot Jan 24 at 12:23
    @guidot We will never know about the nature of eternity. This answer is exactly, what OP was asking about: hypothesis. – Olafant Jan 24 at 13:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.