I'd like to know the origin of the word Quasselstrippe.

Is it the cord (Strippe) on the back of puppets on which you pull and they start to talk (quasseln)? Or is the origin something completely different?

  • No offense, but this Q looks like it could have been answered quickly by firing up a search engine... Commented Mar 2, 2013 at 10:22
  • 1
    Yeah indeed: search Google for origin german quasselstrippe ;)
    – Takkat
    Commented Mar 2, 2013 at 12:59

2 Answers 2


The composite noun "Quasselstrippe" is built from

  • quasseln (to jabber):

    Reached German colloquial in 1900 from Berlin. It was built as an iteration from Low German "quāsen" (fressen, übermäßig essen, plaudern, schwatzen) (18. century), where the initial was changed from the Middle Low German "dwāsen" (Unsinn reden, irre reden, toll sein). translated from DWDS

  • Strippe (cord)

Therefore "Quasselstrippe" initially was used for a "device on a cord to talk", i.e. a telephone (cf. http://www.dwds.de/?qu=Quasselstrippe). Later, and today when phones do not have a cord anymore, the meaning changed to describe a person who is talking too much.

  • Oops, I'm sorry, that's completely new to me. Thank you for reversing my edit. Hope you agree with my current edits.
    – user1914
    Commented Mar 4, 2013 at 13:58

As far as I know "Quasselstrippe" was a synonym for "telephone".
Old telephones had a chord which can be translated to "Kabel". And "Strippe" is a synonym for "Kabel".
But nowadays it is used for people who talk a lot and who can't stop talking.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.