I'm very stuck on how to express the idea of "whenever" in German sentences.

Take the example, "You can come round whenever suits you best", which I just wanted to say to my landlord about repairing something.

How best do I say this? I was stuck for ages because I couldn't work out if it was supposed to be "wann auch immer" or if it could just be "wann immer"?

What is the difference between the two?

• Would you say, that whenever is really an important addition as opposed to when in English?
    – guidot
    Feb 6 '21 at 13:17

whenever translates to several expressions in German:

One is relating to the frequency of doing something like in "Come areound whenever (as often as) you like", this would translate into

Komm' vorbei sooft du magst.

The other one relates to "any time" and is a nearly literal one

Komm' vorbei wann (auch) immer du magst.

Or, simply leave out the "ever" - it doesn't carry a lot of meaning (like it does in English) and say

Komm' vorbei wann du magst.

The phrase wann auch immer isn't really used much in German. Google Ngram Viewer tells us that it is comparatively rare in books:

Google Ngrams of "wann auch immer,wann immer"

To me the phrase wann auch immer carries a connotation of disinterest:

Sie können kommen, wann immer sie wollen. "Whenever you want to come is perfectly fine with me."

Sie können kommen, wann auch immer sie wollen, ich werde sie nicht hereinlassen. "I don't give a wet fart about when you want to come, you'll not get in."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.