In an 1809 marriage record, I see a word that logically equates to "ditto" in the date column. I have searched online translators, even considered Latin, exchanging the first letter. The word looks like Bodem, but what is the German word?

handwritten excerpt

Here is the preceding with a similar example. another full page

I didn't think it was appropriate to include the entire image, but will try to attach it. It is a single word, in the date column, obviously a "ditto", because it repeats the previous entry's date. Thanks for the suggestion. I am new and learning. – Vsaxongirl Feb 7 at 15:04
    The context is always important, so it is definitely appropriate to include the entire image. – Paul Frost Feb 8 at 0:41
  • By the way, the English "ditto" is the same as the German "dito". – Paul Frost Feb 8 at 0:44
    "Ditto/dito" is actually a shortened version of the expression "idem ditto/dito". "Idem" means "same", and obviously has the same root as the "eodem" identified by @fluctuatingpsychosis. – Falc Feb 8 at 10:05

I suppose this reads eodem, Latin for "in the same place", and – if it doesn't refer to a place of birth, death, or marriage, but to a date – is a short form of eodem die, "on the same day".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.