I came across this in a game I'm playing (Stardew Valley):

Dann brauchst du noch einen Kohleklumpen, um das Feuer zu anzufachen.

There seems to be one too many zu's in the last clause, so it should really read um das Feuer anzufachen, or with a different verb something like um das Feuer zu schüren. Is this a typographical error, some kind of regionalism, or is having zu twice allowed in some circumstances? DWDS does list zufächeln as a verb, but I don't think it fit's the context.

Note, the same sentence from the English edition of the game is "You'll need a lump of coal to fuel the fire."

You are right, this sentence is wrong. I don't think this is a regionalism or sociolect. I guess it is just an editing mistake - most probably another verb was used before and the superfluous zu was not removed after editing.

Correct would be:

Dann brauchst du noch einen Kohleklumpen, um das Feuer anzufachen.

• Fair enough, that's what I suspected. Someday I may be fluent enough to say that what I think is wrong is definitely wrong, but I'm not there yet. Thanks. – RDBury Feb 16 at 18:57
  • Maybe it was zu entfachen before. – phipsgabler Feb 17 at 14:23
  • @phipsgabler I have thought so, too. I didn't include in the answer, since it is mere speculation and not really relevant to the question. But I agree. – jonathan.scholbach Feb 17 at 14:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.