I have a big problem specially with declining "substantiviertes Adjektiv" in all forms (nominative, genitive, dative and accusative) with definite and indefinite articles (bestimmte und unbestimmte Artikel). For example "Bekannte" in Duden dictionary:

die/eine Bekannte; der/einer Bekannten, die Bekannten/zwei Bekannte.

So why we have not "n" after "Bekannte" in "zwei Bekannte"? Is it plural?

Or why we have "einer Bekannten"? Is it dative in feminin? Why we use "n" after Bekannte" in this?

• For your next post: Please read your own post and correct all errors before you publish your question. And do not mix German and English words! If you want to ask in English, please use English words only. If you want to use German terms, pack them into German sentences! I corrected all those errors for you, but please try to do it better next time. – Hubert Schölnast Feb 20 at 17:35
    The declension of nominalized adjectives is the same as the declension of non-nominalized adjectives. So please consult a declension table for adjectives, and pay attention to the difference between weak and strong declension. – RHa Feb 20 at 17:42
  • Thank you both. Sure i will do it for my next question – omidreza nouri Feb 20 at 18:09
  • If you want to understand word forms, always try to find a sentence in which that form is used. That will help you understand what grammatical form you are facing. What you are asking here is not a question about a word form, but a question about understanding the dictionary you have used. – Silly Goose Feb 20 at 19:45
  • Dear close voters: May I point out that a why question cannot be answered by a conjugation table? – David Vogt Feb 21 at 12:05

What you found is:

feminine nominative singular:

die/eine Bekannte

Die Bekannte wohnt in Köln.
Eine Bekannte wohnt in Köln.

feminine genitive singular:

der/einer Bekannten

Georg erbarmte sich der Bekannten.
Georg erbarmte sich einer Bekannten.

feminine nominative plural:

die Bekannten/zwei Bekannte

Die Bekannten wohnen in Köln.
Zwei Bekannte wohnen in Köln.

"So why ... ?"
Because it is not a normal noun, but a nominalized adjective, and because the rules for nominalized verbs, adjectives etc. are more complicated than the rules for "real" nouns.

A much better resource than Duden is Wiktionary: https://de.wiktionary.org/wiki/Bekannte

In calling Bekannt- substantiviertes Adjektiv you basically answered your own question. The correct ending can be determined by looking at a table of adjective inflection. However, I still want to try to get to the bottom of the problem.

If I understand your question correctly, the ending -n is giving you problems. Remember that this -n belongs to the declension of adjectives, not nouns! Coming from nouns, you might associate -n with the plural and the plural only. However, this is different for adjectives.

Looking first at the plural with the seemingly missing -n, we simply have the strong adjective ending -e:

Annas beste Freundin (singular), Annas beste Freundinnen (plural)
Annas Bekannte (singular or plural)

To get the weak ending -en in the plural, substitute the genitive Annas by an article with an ending:

Annas beste Freundinnen > ihre besten Freundinnen
Annas Bekannte > ihre Bekannten (plural only)

Regarding the seemingly unexpected -n in the singular, it is the weak adjective ending -en:

ihrer besten Freudin (dative or genitive)
ihrer Bekannten

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.