I'm trying to figure out when it's necessary to use von with dorther?

When I search for it on context.reverso.net one of the examples is:

• Kämst du dorther, wüsstest du das.

wortbedeutung.info also shows some examples without von:

• Meine Familie stammt dorther, meine Wurzeln liegen im Kosovo.

but when I look for more example on let's say linguee.com, most of them are von dorther:

• Es wird im Ausland mehr abgesetzt als von dorther bezogen.
  • Von dorther kommt die Rapperin Reminisce Smith, die sich ganz unverblümt [...]

Would you say it's generally better/worse to leave von out or is there a rule to that?

What bothers me even more is that the first example doesn't use von while the third one does. Even though both use kommen as their main verbs.

I'm mostly interested in the gehobene Sprache, not what the average Herr Mustermann would say.

Would it then be correct to say (I made this sentence up):

• Wenn du in den Keller gehst, bring mir dorther meinen Werkzeugkasten.

1 Answer 1

There are basically three possibilities:

dorther + kommen
  A: Woher bist du gekommen?
  B: Ich bin dorther gekommen.

von dort + kommen
  A: Von wo bist du gekommen?
  B: Ich bin von dort gekommen.

(von) dort + herkommen
  A: (Von) wo bist du hergekommen?
  B: Ich bin (von) dort hergekommen.

I personally would omit the preposition von when a verb with the prefix her- is used. The pattern is similar with *hin-*words:

dorthin + gehen
  A: Wohin bist du gegangen?
  B: Ich bin dorthin gegangen.

nach dort + gehen
  A: Nach wo bist du gegangen?
  B: Ich bin nach dort gegangen.

(nach) dort + hingehen
  A: (Nach) wo bist du hingegangen?
  B: Ich bin (nach) dort hingegangen.

Notice, how the adverb (dorther / von dort) parallels the interrogative word (woher / von wo). Apparently, the possibilities are getting more and more mixed up, even in example sentences that you find in dictionaries.

• I was trying to use it in stentences so I like the idea with asking a question. This way it should be easier to find more verbs that are compatible with dorther though I doubt there are many. I was able to find it used only with kommen and stammen so far.
    – hash-tag
    Mar 3, 2021 at 20:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.