Hallo, hallo, schön, dass du da bist
Hallo, hallo, schön, dass du da bist
Die Hacken und die Spitzen, die wollen nicht mehr sitzen
Die Hacken und die Zehen, wollen weitergehen \

I tried using google translator but I don't understand the results, in english or spanish. Looks like Hacken is heel, but I don't get it about Spitzen.

Also, why is "schön" followed by a comma? Isn't it like saying "Nice, to have you here". Like it looks weird.

I'm just starting to learn German.

There's a fun additional challenge here. If you sing this to Austrian children, they'll be confused, as Hacke in Austrian German exclusively means "hatchet", never "heel" (for which only Ferse is used). – phipsgabler Mar 18 at 9:01
    And maybe this is almost a duplicate: german.stackexchange.com/q/22334/1626. – phipsgabler Mar 18 at 9:02
  • There's the German language word Haxe releating to leg. Is this not used in Austria, also? – Bernhard Döbler Mar 18 at 12:43
    Absolutely, but I think Hacke refers only to the same very small part of the foot as Ferse, doesn't it? – phipsgabler Mar 18 at 13:00
    @phipsgabler Same in modern standard German, I'd say. I understand the word, but I'd never use it to mean heel, and I'm not sure I'd understand it without context. It's probably outdated or dialect, or both. – Konrad Rudolph Mar 18 at 14:18

“Spitzen” here is most likely short for “Zehenspitzen” - which means the tips of (one’s) toes. The following line - which talks about heels and toes - would fit this interpretation.

And the comma isn’t related to the “schön” but rather to the “dass”, which is preceded by a comma because it connects a “Nebensatz” (subordinate clause) to the main clause of the sentence. Here is a resource that explains more in German. Here is an English one.

*Update: found a Spanish one, as well!

Or just Fußspitzen. – Carsten S Mar 18 at 7:12
    tendiere auch eher zu Fußspitzen (als Gegensatz zu Hacken), obwohl im Kindergarten vielleicht Zehenspitzen insgesamt geläufiger sind. – Wolf Mar 18 at 14:06
  • @CarstenS Could be if you regard Fußspitzen and Zehen as synonyms (see lines 3 and 4). But I doubt that kindergarten-children make a difference between Zehen and Zehenspitzen although there is one. – Paul Frost Mar 19 at 12:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.