To signify „as a warning” , both the terms “zur Warnung” and “als Warnung” seem to appear quite frequently:

Duden: Glocke, die zur Warnung geläutet wird

DWDS: Jerusalems Konzept der Roten Linie wurde im Oktober 1975 entwickelt - als Warnung an Damaskus vor einem zu massiven Eingreifen im Libanon.

Is my assumption that both mean “as a warning” correct and what are the differences in usage?

Yes, you are correct, both mean "as a warning". I think both terms are used in slightly different contexts:

• zur Warnung
    It's often used for something that is used to inform people about a possible threat (a bell, a sign...)

• als Warnung
    Something is done to threaten someone or is used as a deterrent. You do something to demonstrate of what you are capable of.

However, I think it's usually still not totally wrong to use the respective other one in the context. These are only nuances.

• The distinction between an established signal ("zur Warnung") and a threatening act ("als Warnung") may be blurry - is the head of a dead horse in your bed the former or the latter? – Hagen von Eitzen Apr 10 at 18:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.