What will be correct:

Soll ich an Dr Mueller schreiben um meinen Brief zu errinern?

or

Soll ich Dr Mueller schreiben um meinen Brief zu errinern?

I have found in a dictinary "ich schreibe dich einen Brief". Does it mean the first version is correct?

• Ich schreibe dich einen Brief is wrong. It ought to be ... dir einen Brief. Apr 26 at 17:12
  • I think "errinern" should be "erinnern" Apr 26 at 18:03

I would prefer

Soll ich Dr. Mueller schreiben, um an meinen Brief zu erinnern?

It is also possible to use

Soll ich an Dr. Mueller schreiben, um an meinen Brief zu erinnern?

You can use jemandem schreiben (Dativ) or an jemanden schreiben (an + Akkusativ).

It must be "…, um an meinen Brief zu erinnern".

Especially in this example sentence the first variant is stylistically better because it avoids repeating the word "an". (suggested in phipsgabler's comment)

Note: The correct spelling of the name might be "Mueller" or "Müller". I adhere to the spelling from the question because it may be the correct spelling of the person's name, which is not known here. The spelling "Müller" is more common, but it can be written as "Mueller" if the letter "ü" is not available.

• I'd say the first is stilistically better because it avoids repeating the an. But semantically, they are indeed equivalent. Apr 28 at 13:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.