die Verbindung zwischen den Gedanken und Gefühlen des Dunklen Lords und den Ihren

I know that the genitive is German is:

Ihres, Ihrer, Ihres, Ihrer

So where did Ihren come from?? Can someone please breakdown to me how this den Ihren was written? My goal is to understand how this is written so that I could use it in the future in different contexts.

Den Ihren is the dative of die Ihren (question: zwischen wem?)

Die Ihren is a nominalized version of the attribute ihre in ihre Gefühle, hence probably the capitalization (if not capitalized anyway being the polite address form):

• Zwischen den Gefühlen des Dunklen Lords und ihren Gefühlen.
  • Zwischen seinen Gefühlen [= den Seinen] und den Ihren.

This is just like an adjective would be nominalized, compare:

• Zwischen den großen und den kleinen Kindern.
  • Zwischen den Großen und den Kleinen.

It works with other possesive attributes as well, they're regularly inclined like adjectives with determiner ('bestimmte Deklination'), e.g. eure:

• Singular: der/die/das Eure, des/der/des Euren, dem/der/dem Euren, den Euren/die Eure/das Eure
  • Plural: die Euren, der Euren, den Euren, die Euren
    The nominalization of adjectives is nothing new but the nominalization of possessive articles is really weird. I need to practice it. Thank you. Apr 30 at 7:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.