der/die/das ihre, der/die/das Ihre, die Ihren

die deinen

der/die/das seine

Can you please explain to me how these work? How can I use them? Can you please write for me some examples?

• You probably mean Possesivpronomen. May 6, 2021 at 13:17

3 Answers 3

„Das Deine“ or „Das Ihre“ is quite old fashioned and it stands for something belonging to „you“ or „her“...

It would be used in sentences like

Mein Wasser ist verbraucht, gib mir das Deine.

Translated as:

My water is used up, give me yours.

Or -more romantic-:

Sein Herz war gebrochen, darum gab sie ihm das Ihre.

Translated as:

His heart was broken, so she gave him hers.

As written: today only poets would use this...

• Sind dir die Satzendzeichen ausgegangen? ;)
    – Olafant
    May 5, 2021 at 22:36
  • habe noch ein paar gefunden und hinzugefügt, musste erst neue besorgen... ;)
    – Tode
    May 6, 2021 at 7:47
  • Gar nicht so leicht in diesen Tagen! War der Satzendzeichenladen wohl doch offen?
    – Olafant
    May 6, 2021 at 11:07
  • Wir haben eine Inzidenz von unter 50... war also kein Problem
    – Tode
    May 6, 2021 at 14:53

If I understand your question correctly, these expressions are used to start a subordinate clause, in which the object of the main clause (refered to by der/die/das) is described in more detail. Deinen/ihre/seine then refer to the object of the subordinate clause.

Examples:

„Ich gebe dir eine Antwort, die deinen Horizont erweitert.“ I give you an answer that broadens your horizon.

„Sie las das Buch, das ihre Lieblingsgeschichte enthält.“ She read the book that contained her favorite story.

The question is somewhat flawed, since the personal pronouns mentioned are actually used as substantives in the examples I imagined (no ones were given) and have to start with an uppercase letter. A simple example is the counterpiece of the Latin Suum cuique:

Jedem das Seine. (English: To each his own.)

The only other use I encounter more frequently is

Grüße mir die Deinen! (Greetings to your family!)

where Deinen summarizes husband, children and may also cover pets or parents if living in the same house and is much more elegant than enumerating all of them.

• Not to forget that they are substantives derived from possesive pronouns. May 6, 2021 at 13:16

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.