The letters p and b should be in the middle of the words, and please not like this: "tribe" and "tripe", because they pronounced here as the last sound.

But Why Though? – HalvarF May 21 at 11:34
  • It's obviously not a good idea to ask for English words on GSE. German obviously is acceptable, but a bit of a background on the why's and what's would certainly be helpful. – tofro May 21 at 12:26
    @fdb: that is a great answer that also made me understand the question better. Could you include the link and a short comprehensible summary in your answer? – HalvarF May 22 at 12:32
    Thank you fdb for give me some words and a historical view about this. Answering to the question of why i ask about this: my native language is Arabic, it is one of few Languages that does not have the P sound at all, that's why i need some minimal pair to practice my pronunciation. i'm fine actually with the aspirated P, but not with the unaspirated P, and that's why i asked for middle words pairs. And it's very very difficult for me to distinguish between b and p by hearing, especially when the p unaspirated. – Mohammed Essam May 22 at 13:04
    @fdb: "In another (inferior) forum", I see, I see... – jonathan.scholbach May 25 at 20:21

After a while of thinking the only true minimal pair I can find is:

hupen[inf. of hupen, "to horn"] | huben[1st./3rd. pers. pl. of heben, "to lift"]

• I think quite a few others have been listed on this page. – fdb May 26 at 21:10

Oper (meaning: an opera) and Ober (a waiter).

A German example: Gruppe / Grube

Another: Raupen / rauben

Staupe, (im) Staube. Lappen, laben. Rappen, Raben, ... ne jetzt wird's langweilig :-) – a_donda May 21 at 13:05
    Strictly speaking, Gruppe/Grube. Lappen/laben, Rappen/Raben are not minimal pairs, because the quantity of the first vowel is different. – fdb May 21 at 13:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.