Is there a place like google word couch or any quiz place for German? I have recently started learning German from Youtube (Lingoni german) and a mobile app Duolingo. Now, while going through a few answers, I have seen that German StackExchange hates learning languages from youtube. But my country is completely under lockdown, so there are not many choices. Like any beginner, I am facing a huge challenge with German pronunciations (if anyone has any advice please help me, I am desperate!). I was hoping if there were places where I can read stories in German (like children book stories), or like I mentioned above, word couch or quiz places that can help me in my endeavors.

Maybe you find something in our collection of resources: german.stackexchange.com/questions/9526/… I don't see the problem with using Youtube, there are excellent channels on there.
    – HalvarF
    May 22 at 9:47
    You can find many resources for learning German in this answer; even if it's not exactly what you had in mind there is sure to be something useful for you there. I've never gotten the impression that this site hates learning from YouTube, but I'd definitely say YouTube should not be your only resource. Trying to learn German from children's stories can be problematic and what you should probably be looking for are graded readers. They're not free, but the prices should be reasonable and if you're desperate then it should not be an issue.
    – RDBury
    May 22 at 9:54
  • Pronunciation is not the main motive of my question. What I want is a place like google word couch where I can practice, I have found only one such resource, but the questions are quite advance. Here on the right side
    – Momobear
    May 22 at 10:19
    Not a full answer, but german.net has some nice interactive elements like vocabulary quizzes for free.
    – HalvarF
    May 22 at 10:37
    "Galgenmännchen 2" app - it's a hangman game with 3 difficulty levels, "Wortsalat" app, and "Flizz Quiz" app for higher level than A1
    – Andra
    Jun 15 at 19:13

I am a self learner too.

For pronunciation, I use Leo(dictionary), Reverso(translation site) and youglish.

German reading material (with audio) that I like...

Listening...

Grammar exercises...

For grammar, I find having a text book to be useful to ensure a more systematic coverage.

• Basic German: A Grammar and Workbook (by Heiner Schenke and Karen Seago, Published by Routledge) - Very basic
  • Grammatik Aktiv (published by Cornelsen) - the book is written in German, also includes a code to access online audio listening exercices.
  • Hello Hammie, thanks a lot for all the reference material you have provided. This will help me very much for times to come.
    – Momobear
    Sep 8 at 13:36
  • @Momobear :) The little that I can do to give back to such a supportive community! Anyway, there is another SE page that has even more resources listed... german.stackexchange.com/questions/9526/…
    – Hammie C
    Sep 9 at 4:54
  • Thanks a lot, Hammie!!
    – Momobear
    Sep 10 at 11:43

www.deutsch-ueben.tk and www.deutschlernerblog.de have lots of free exercises with explanations. The activities have corrections, so you receive feedback (from the computer, of course). The web site of Goethe Institut has free activities and videos too. The three of them sort the activities according to the language level, so you should do those for A1 level.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.