I am "new" in German learning. I found this table (bellow). According to the table the accusative of "mein" for the third person singular neutral (es) is: meines? However, in this other link, it says it is meins, and I saw other websites that say just mein. So I am confused now. Can someone suggest a reliable source where I can see an overview with most of the cases, like in the picture? enter image description here

In a nutshell, this declension for mein depends on whether (or the way) mein is tied to a noun:

Das ist mein Haus (attributiv)
Dein Haus ist groß. Meines ist klein. (nicht attributiv)
(Dein Haus ist groß.) Das meine ist klein. (nicht attributiv mit Artikel)

A nice table is for me that of Wiktionary. I would post it, but one cannot write tables here in SE.

• what about "meins", in the second link it is mentioned. Also, do you know a table where also also depicted dein, sein, ein, kein, etc?
    – Bur Nor
    May 26 at 21:09
  • @BurNor meins is the same as meines in this case. As for the table, you just have to look at the corresponding table in Wiktionary. It has them all.
    – c.p.
    May 27 at 9:39

All three are correct. It depends on the usage.

• as an attribute of a noun (before a noun)

Ich sehe mein Kind.

• non attributive, without an article.

Welches Kind siehst du? - Ich sehe meines.

• non attributive, with an article.

Welches Kind siehst du? - Ich sehe das meine.

Also note, that the order of the cases in the picture is unusual. The standard order is:

1. Fall = Nominativ
  2. Fall = Genitiv
  3. Fall = Dativ
  4. Fall = Akkusativ

The term »Dritter Fall« is a synonyme for »Dativ« etc.

The reliable source is Wiktionary.

• what about "meins", in the second link it is mentioned. Also, do you know a table where also also depicted dein, sein, ein, kein, etc?
    – Bur Nor
    May 26 at 21:09
  • Regarding the order of the cases, see german.stackexchange.com/questions/7861/numbering-cases
    – Carsten S
    May 26 at 21:21
  • @Hubert what do you think (-e) (-en) (-er) in the in gray in the table (from the figure attached to the post) meant? I dont understand their significance
    – Bur Nor
    May 26 at 21:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.