My sentence is "You have found the dream job of every kid".

Is the correct translation "Du hast den Traumberuf jedes Kindes gefunden?"

Could one also say, "Du hast den Traumberuf der alle Kinder gefunden?"

Google Translate gives neither of these results btw!

• Specifically, GT produces Sie haben den Traumberuf eines jeden Kindes gefunden. The du/Sie switch is expected but I can't explain the eines. I'm pretty sure der alle Kinder is wrong because there are two determiners in a row, but then you can say the same about eines jeden Kindes. DeepL does give the first option with some coaxing.
    – RDBury
    Jul 4 at 9:18
  • PS. GT does seems to be correct, see DWDS usage examples.
    – RDBury
    Jul 4 at 9:24
  • Yeah, I don't understand this "eines jeden" thing either
    – rnva
    Jul 4 at 9:40
  • PPS. See DWDS, where it says gehoben in green.
    – RDBury
    Jul 4 at 11:36
    @rnva: Well, why do you think that there is something wrong with the translation and what makes you unsure about your proposal? GoogleTranslate is no argument unless you declare GT an english and german native speaker the same time. Jul 5 at 7:27

Literally the translation is "Du hast den Traumberuf jedes Kindes gefunden" (or "Du hast den Traumberuf eines jeden Kindes gefunden" but this one sounds educational or old-fashioned).

You could also say "Du hast den Traumberuf aller Kinder gefunden" (literally "of all kids").

Strictly speaking, "jedes" or "eines jeden" is stronger because it says that every single kid dreams of this job. "Aller" is a general statement about a group and therefore has a tolerance in it. In everyday speech there is no difference between them (I think it is the same with "of every kid" and "of all kids" in English).

"Ein jeder" und "jeder" are synonymous in their meaning, but putting "ein" before "jeder" makes it substantival and puts some emphasis to fact that a condition or circumstance applies to each and every one.

Google translates the phrase to "eines jeden Kindes" and I as a German definitely side with that when it comes to correct grammar. "eines jeden" is simply the genitive of "ein jeder/ein jedes". "jedes Kindes" is grammatically correct, it is the genitive of "jedes Kind", but unusual in every day language.

Colloquially one would say "von jedem Kind" because in current German language the dative is the genitive's death.

"... der alle Kinder ..." is wrong sentence building.

• I'm still confused though. I can see that it's correct by the usage examples, but I don't understand why it's correct. Is it an idiom? The word for word translation into English is "You've found the dream job of an every child," which is grammatically wrong. If German is different then please explain the difference: is it only the genitive? is it only jed- and not all-? I've searched several grammars and haven't found anything which allows this construction.
    – RDBury
    Jul 4 at 10:31
  • As I mentioned in another comment, it's the combination of two determiners in a row. It's not allowed in English and I haven't been able to find out when it is allowed in German. You can combine "every" with some nouns in English: "It's the story of a simple everyman." I don't see it as being related to this though.
    – RDBury
    Jul 4 at 10:43
  • @RDBury: See also: german.stackexchange.com/questions/18937/…. In texts from the 19th century you will sometimes find "eines jedes Kindes", schlepping the genitive all the way through. Language evolution has probably introduce an acussative'esque element into "eines jeden". Current German simply uses "ein jeder" synonymously für "jeder".
    – user41853
    Jul 4 at 10:52
  • I found that question as well, but to me the answer still does not resolve the main issue. I'm sorry if I seem to be persnickety about this, but it looks like I've missed something basic about some very common words and it's disconcerting. I can see using an adjective here: ... jedes einzelnen Kindes gefunden, but the two determiners still mystify me.
    – RDBury
    Jul 4 at 11:11
  • Oh, one can even say "Eines jeden einzelnen Kindes (Pausenbrot wurde gestohlen)" to put specific emphasis on a condition that applies to each and every single child.
    – user41853
    Jul 4 at 11:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.