Does anyone know how quickly German native speakers are able to discriminate between the vowel sounds (/e:/ vs. /i:/) at the beginning of a word e.g. (er ‘he’ vs. ihn ‘him’) upon hearing the vowel sound (the onset)? It would be very helpful if you could back up your answer to the question with sources.

You should rephrase your question because this SE is about the German language, not about looking up scientific papers for others ^^. One could ask, for example, to back up the answer to the actual question with sources.
    – mtwde
    Jul 8 at 13:56
    I consider this as off-topic; the assumption, that German native speakers are significantly different in that respect from native speakers of other languages is already an ambitious claim.
    – guidot
    Jul 8 at 13:58
    To me it is even unclear what exactly you mean with "how quickly". Do you want to measure the time from playing the sound to the recognition of the vowel? How do you measure when it is recognized? Pressing a button? EEG?
    – Bodo
    Jul 8 at 14:26
    @guidot: I'm not sure what led you to make the assumption that I'm asking in comparison to native speakers of other languages...
    – Angie
    Jul 8 at 14:26
    VTC, could you please clarify what you're trying to learn with this question and how it relates to the topic of German language? This seems like a general linguistics question to me, and even if someone conducted a study and told us a number of milliseconds, what would that accomplish? Do you know any other data to compare this to?
    – HalvarF
    Jul 8 at 20:51

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.