Anklagen requires an Akkusativ and a Genitiv for its complements, which can give a sentence such as

Die öffentliche Meinung klagte die führende Leute der Heuchelei an.

I would like to use anklagen now in a construction with a relative proposition. I come up with this,

Die öffentliche Meinung klagte die führende Leute 
insbesondere dessen an, 
dass sie behaupten, einfach Befehle auszuführen, 
während sie mit zweifelhaften Tätigkeiten 
verwickelten Unternehmen geheim aufbauen.

We can of course also say

ihrer Behauptung an, 
einfach Befehle auszuführen, 
während sie mit zweifelhaften Tätigkeiten 

but I want to understand a possible construct with dessen.

Furthermore can we have the two kind of complements in the sentence, this way

der Heuchelei und insbesondere dessen an, 
dass sie behaupten, einfach Befehle auszuführen, 
während sie mit zweifelhafte Tätigkeiten 

Yes, your use of the complements of "anklagen" is grammatically completely correct here!

So that's your answer. Compliments for that! The rest of this answer is basically uninvited advice that's not really about your question. :-)

There are some minor, more mundane glitches in your example, so I'll just add a corrected version of your last example.

Die öffentliche Meinung klagte die führenden Leute der Heuchelei und insbesondere dessen an, dass sie behaupten, einfach Befehle auszuführen, während sie im Geheimen in zweifelhafte Tätigkeiten verwickelte Unternehmen aufbauen.

Explanations: "Geheim" works well as an adjective, but not so well as an adverb for some strange reason, thus "im Geheimen". In is the correct preposition in the verb "in etwas (accusative) verwickelt sein".

About the use of anklagen itself: This is of course an example for the grammar of anklagen, but I'll just mention that anklagen is used in a much narrower sense than the English word to accuse and not a good fit in the example sentences. It's really only used in a legal sense. So if it was more than just a grammar example, I would probably use "jemandem etwas vorwerfen" instead of "anklagen" in the example sentence. "Die öffentliche Meinung" isn't really able to "jemanden anklagen", only a prosecutor is, and you would also not use "jemanden einer Behauptung anklagen", it would have to be some kind of legally defined offence.

While I agree that this describes the predominant use of anklagen, non-legal uses are not uncommon in a formal register: Özdogan ist damit das Gegenteil des debattenmächtigen Public Intellectual, der mit grosser moralischer Geste die Welt anklagt. (NZZ, 17.02.2020) Ungeachtet der Tatsache, daß die Sowjetpresse ihn immer wieder der Unterstützung der „Parteifeinde“ anklagt, bleibt er weiterhin auf seinem Posten. (Die Zeit, 17.08.1962) Die Künstlerin DJ Switch hat auf Twitter ein Video gepostet, in dem sie die Sicherheitskräfte anklagt: (..) (taz, 22.10.2020)
    – johnl
    Jul 21 at 21:21
  • @johnl: +1 for the comment because this was oversimplified in the answer. The examples also show that this use is quite special, The "Sowjetpresse" example is crafted to highlight the role of press in the SU as part of the system, and the other two try to stress a position of moral high ground that would be hard to attribute to "die öffentliche Meinung".
    – HalvarF
    Jul 22 at 6:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.