This sentence appears among the subtitles to a recent Tatort:

Tauchst nach all den Jahren wieder auf und puhlst in der schlimmsten Wunde meines Lebens?

I am unable to find any reference to the word, puhlst/puhlen. Please advise. Is this a typo?

dwds.de/wb/pulen
    – Carsten S
    Jul 25 at 15:14
  • "You show up again after all these years and reopen the worst wound of my life?", something along those lines.
    – Gigili
    Jul 26 at 8:28
  • de: 'puhlst in der schlimmsten Wunde' I would translate 'you stick your finger in my worst wound' ### puhlen is like sticking your finger in your nose to get something out.
    – Bru
    Jul 27 at 18:35

The word is pulen / du pulst. It's a northern German word. There is no good English equivalent, it basically means to fiddle around / tamper with something using your fingers, often taking something off while doing it. It also means to peel off the paring of fruit or to shell a prawn ("Krabben pulen"). "In der Nase pulen" means to pick one's nose.

https://www.dwds.de/wb/pulen

"In alten Wunden pulen" would be tampering with and potentially opening old wounds, which is used in a figurative sense in the Tatort line.

"Puhlst" is a spelling mistake, and an understandable one. If German spelling was logical, it should probably be "puhlen", but for some reason it stayed "pulen".

With shrimp it could be "shell", with peas it can be "peel" which actually is the same word (I assume). Jul 26 at 4:54
    The "h" would be used to indicate a long vowel, but then if the vowel was short there would be a double "l". So there is some logic in the spelling, just not much consistence ;)
    – Carsten S
    Jul 26 at 9:49
  • "Krabben pulen" - das erinnert mich an eine Entgleisung Thomas Gottschalks. In deutschlandfunk.de/… nach "Krabben" suchen. Jul 26 at 9:50
  • Fiddle around, mess with, poke, stir can all work depending on context. For a wound poke would be a possibility.
    – Tonny
    Jul 26 at 14:37
  • @Peter-ReinstateMonica. "Peel" is from Latin and is not cognate with "pulen".
    – fdb
    Jul 29 at 12:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.