If run English→German translation on google translator,

Nevertheless, I wish this work could be finished by the end of next month.

I get

Trotzdem wünsche ich mir, dass diese Arbeit bis Ende nächsten Monats abgeschlossen sein könnte.

Why is it not "bis Ende des nächsten Monats"?

Why is it end of next month and not end of the next month? I strongly recommend against GoogleTranslate (although it does an ok job this time). Try deepL instead. Aug 3 '21 at 8:55
  • @infinitezero Ah, thanks you. deepL translates it to Ende des nächstern Monats even though I omitted 'the' from 'end of the next month'. google translator missed des because I missed the. (if you can post an answer, I can choose it as the selected answer.)
    – Chan Kim
    Aug 3 '21 at 9:06
    I'm with @infinitezero when it comes to translators. Also I noted that the English original omits "the" in "next month" as well. So, can I suppose that the question is "when can I omit the article in a case like Ende + timespan.", is that correct ?
    – user41853
    Aug 3 '21 at 11:29
    @ChanKim: Have a look, there are several answers that might serve your question in: german.stackexchange.com/questions/44675/… and the linked question.
    – user41853
    Aug 3 '21 at 12:23
  • Is “bis Ende nächsten Monats” a correct expression?
    Yes.
  • Why is it not "bis Ende des nächsten Monats"?
    You have to ask the developers of Google Translator. Other translating machines like deepl produce what you want:

Dennoch wünsche ich mir, dass diese Arbeit bis Ende des nächsten Monats abgeschlossen werden kann.

Fact is, that all of these variations are correct and mean the same:

bis Ende nächsten Monats
bis Ende des nächsten Monats
bis zum Ende des nächsten Monats

It's just a matter of personal taste.

@a_donda The question is "is it correct". That is answered. Further, if there's a choice of different phrases which all are correct and with identical meaning: it's a matter of style and personal taste which to choose. What else? Aug 3 '21 at 10:09
    @a_donda: Chan asked exactly 2 question, and I answered both of them precisely. That personal taste would be insufficient is a matter of your personal taste. But you are welcome to write a better answer. Use less energy to criticize others. Try to do better yourself instead. Aug 3 '21 at 10:13
    Yes. Allmost everything in the world is a matter of personal taste. That's whataboutism. But it is not an answer to a question that asks "why".
    – user41853
    Aug 3 '21 at 10:34
    ... I just can repeat: You are welcome to write a better answer. Use less energy to criticize others. Try to do better yourself instead. Aug 3 '21 at 11:39
    thank you all for trying to give me a most 'correct' answer. :) I think I learned the des here can be omitted like we can omit the in English in some cases(including personal taste). That's what I was curious about.
    – Chan Kim
    Aug 4 '21 at 0:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.