I came across a practice question online. Can anyone help explain why the correct answer is mich, and not mir?

The underlying verb is bringen. Now there are -among others- two version of this verb

(1) jemandem(Dat.) etwas(Akk.) bringen

(2) jemanden(Akk.) irgendwohin bringen

(1) is the exchange/transport of goods, e.g.

Ich bringe dir ein Glas Wasser

However, in the above phrase, we find auf die Palme which is a specification of irgendwohin . Thus it is form (2) and you need the Akkusativ form of the personal pronoun. It literally means to bring (take) someone on top of a palm tree. Not to be confused with to bring someone a palm tree. In the case that would be

Neugierige Kollegen bringen mir eine Palme.

• I think “to bring someone on top of a palm tree” doesn’t even make sense in English if taken literally. In the sense of (2), it would be “to take someone to the top of a palm tree”. But also that doesn’t fully fit, I think, because German “bringen” also has uses as in “etwas zum kochen bringen”, and I feel like the usage here is similar.
    – Carsten S
    Sep 5 at 16:38
  • Still, even when it's a figure of speech, it is bringing someone or something to some other place. Sep 5 at 21:02
    @CarstenS, "Jemanden auf die Palme bringen" is colloquial for driving somebody nuts.
    – vonbrand
    Sep 6 at 2:41
  • @vonbrand, Danke, das ist mir schon klar ;)
    – Carsten S
    Sep 6 at 5:47
    I think that's why I called it a literal translation. But you're right, take is the appropriate verb. Sep 6 at 8:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.