Wenn Sie Fragen haben, lassen Sie es mich wissen.

Why do we use es here? As Fragen is plural, why don't we use sie?

Whenever I don't want to repeat the noun, I either use its gender article as per the case or the corresponding pronoun for it. So, could the following be considered valid, too?

Wenn Sie Fragen haben, lassen Sie sie/die mich wissen.

Fragen is an abstract word. Instead of Fragen, I could also use another object, e.g., der Stift:

Das ist der Stift. Ich benutze ihn/den zum Schreiben.

Am I following the right path?

While reading I have noticed that some examples show two clauses using a relative pronoun and some examples show two different sentences using a relative pronoun.

1 Answer 1

Note that

Wenn Sie Fragen haben, lassen Sie es mich wissen.

does not mean

If you have questions, let me know them.

but rather

If you have questions, let me know (that fact).

The fact that you might have questions is singular, thus es is used to relate to that fact.

You can use a parallel construction in English: "If you have questions, please let me know it." It probably has a different emphasis than the German version because the "it" is optional in English.
    – RDBury
    Sep 10, 2021 at 10:44
    If you phrase it as “please let it be known” you have almost the same construction in English.
    – Ingmar
    Sep 10, 2021 at 15:25
    "Lassen Sie es mich wissen" for "Lassen Sie mich wissen dass sie Fragen haben"
    – Karlo
    Sep 11, 2021 at 1:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.