From dw:

Die Zugfahrt wurde Julia zum VERHÄNGNIS.

Can anyone explain the sentence structure here? I guess ‘Julia’ is the subject here, and ‘Julia wurde zum Verhängnis’ would be a complete sentence. I would interpret this sentence as: Due to ‘die Zugfahrt’, Julia becomes ‘zum Verhängnis’. But shouldn’t there be a preposition like ‘due to’ in front of ‘die Zugfahrt’?

• The structure is exactly the same as e.g. "The train ride gave Julia a cold". English and German have important differencse in syntactic structure, but simple sentences with direct and indirect objects are fairly analogous. Sep 12 at 10:23

I guess ‘Julia’ is the subject here, and ‘Julia wurde zum Verhängnis’ would be a complete sentence.

Unfortunately that is not the case; die Zugfahrt (the train ride) is the subject, “Julia” is merely an object in the dative case. Translated word by word, the sentence would read (in English): The train ride became (to) Julia (her) undoing.

Note that zum Verhängnis werden is a collocation and fixed expression. Makes sense?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.