Yesterday, I watched a episode of Tatort. I didn't understand the structure of following sentence.

Gibts einen Hinweis, wonach der Täter gesucht haben könnte.

I checked konjunktiv 2 Vergangenheit sentence structure. They have wären / hätten + Partizip II. Please explain the grammatic structure of the given sentence.

I assume your question is about the verbal structure in

...wonach der Täter gesucht haben könnte.

First, lets rewrite this as a Hauptsatz:

Danach könnte der Täter gesucht haben.

From this we see that the predicate is just könnte: Konjunktiv II in Präteritum. The rest, gesucht haben, is only an argument of that predicate. And it is the perfekt infinitive of suchen. Just like the English construction

The suspect [could] [have searched] for it.

where "to have searched" fulfills the same role.

A minor point, and likely the source of confusion, is that wonach starts a relative sentence, which requires the verb-last order. The Hauptsatz-form with danach should make this clearer.

• Thanks. I understand the last-verb rule with wonach. I was confused with haben gesucht. I thought könnte gesucht haben is predicate in the sentence. Is it also correct to make it in following way. Danach hätte der Täter gesucht. Oct 18 at 9:06
  • That would be grammatical, but different: now it's suchen in Konjunktiv II Perfekt. You'd use it for reported speech, or potentiality ("he would have searched"). Oct 18 at 9:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.