Trying to understand the spelling of the handwritten word, likely a family name

Writing is found on the leather inside a police holster, assumed to be done by a German individual about 1933-1934. My guess is the word is "Yarap" or "Warap" but my confidence is low as I am not familiar with this style of handwriting. Thank you in advance for your help.

enter image description here

I cannot read it easily but that's definitely Sütterlin. Oct 31, 2021 at 20:30

2 Answers 2

It seems to read medot. I'm not sure about the first two letters, but the last three are clear. Very likely it is not a name, since names are usually capitalized, and the first letter is not a capital letter. Maybe the beginning of the word is missing?

I guess this is a name, written in Sütterlin (although Sütterlin would have much sharper points, but my guess is that is due to the writng implement)

Letters (read down)

1. D (my guess is that there is a big loop barely visible). the main problem here is that it begins with a downstroke, no Sütterlin letter does that, and my guess is that a very small upstroke was simply left out -> D / N
  2. y / r ? completely unclear and smudged
  3. c / n ?
  4. d /o ?
  5. o /d ?
  6. r /y /s ? very sloppy any way

followed by 2364 (if the '23' are not digits, i do not know what it might be) - the joining of the 2 and 3 leaves open the possibility of the writer joining unjoined (such as uppercase) letters - so 6th could then be, for instance, a P

If you have no further context about the holster (or other known samples in the same hand) i think this will be a wild goose chase. The writing is cramped and faded, my grandmother had problems reading her own script from school-days - Sütterlin can be very multivariate

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.