The sentence:

Es waren kaum Leute auf der Straße, dafür rasten die Autos ganz nah an uns vorbei.

DeepL translates it as:

There were hardly any people on the street, but the cars sped past us very close.

Google, too, has about the same translation. But I haven't ever seen dafür used as an alternative to 'but'.

Please insert and quote text as text and not as image Nov 5, 2021 at 8:23

1 Answer 1

You can use in the sentence 'stattdessen' instead of 'dafür'. In this sentence 'dafür' is colloquial used as 'but'.

See meaning 4b in the Duden article for 'dafür'.

• Welcome to German.SE. As I'm myself not that strong in language rules - do you have any (linkable internet) source for further reading? Because it sounds like two things - yet my understanding says: dafür is used as but (aber) - and stattdessen is an alternative to but (aber). so dafür is used as stattdessen. In the meaning of but (aber). Right? Nov 5, 2021 at 9:56
  • Source -> Duden In this sentence 'dafür' has the meaning of instead of. You can say following sentence: Ich komme heute nicht, dafür aber morgen. (colloquial)
    – Erazor
    Nov 5, 2021 at 10:18
    @Erazor I've added the reference to the answer for you. Note that you can also expand your answer yourself using the edit button if you want to improve it further.
    – Hulk
    Nov 5, 2021 at 13:24
  • Wäre "deswegen" nicht das bessere Ersatzwort in diesem Fall?
    – FLUSHER
    Nov 5, 2021 at 18:29

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.