I have this phrase from Briefe an einen jungen Dichter and I am a bit confused:

'Nachklingen erkannt worden wäre'.

It seems to be plusquamperfekt konjunktiv ii from a chart I have found but I haven't found any explanations about it with the verb 'worden'. Some explanations about it would help a lot.

The whole sentence starts with:

Da ist nichts, was nicht verstanden, erfaßt, erfahren und in des Erinnerns zitterndem Nachklingen erkannt worden wäre;[…]

3 Answers 3

As an auxiliary verb, the past participle is "worden" and as a full verb it is "geworden".

Perhaps this distinction is what confuses you?

"werden" as a full verb:

[er/sie/]Es wäre (toll, anstregend, langweilig, ...) geworden.

"werden" as an auxiliary verb:

Er[/sie/es] wäre (gesucht, erkannt, bestraft, ...) worden.

You're grouping the words wrong. "Nachklingen" is not a verb in this sentence, but a noun and part of the prepositional clause "in des Erinnerns zitterndem Nachklingen" - "in the remembering's trembling reverberation".

The verb of the sentence is "erkannt worden wäre" - 3. Person Singular Konjunktiv 2 Passiv of "erkennen".

You don't quote a complete sentence.

Yet what you quote is Plusquamperfekt passiv Konjunktiv 2 (irrealis). The present form is 'erkannt werden'. 'Worden' is the Konjunktiv form of 'werden' in past perfect tense.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.