Let's say I would like to reschedule an appointment, but to make it sooner, rather than later. I would like to know the most natural way a German speaker would say this. I'm familiar with "verschieben", but I'm afraid that carries the connotation that it will be scheduled for a later point in time.

As an American English speaker, I would say "to move it up." However, tranlating that into German doesn't give results that refer to time.

1 Answer 1

A good choice would probably be vorverlegen. "Verlegen" refers, among other meanings, to changing the position of something - in space and/or in time. Therefore,

Die Besprechung nächste Woche wurde verlegt.

can refer to a spatial change (the meeting has been moved to another conference room) or to a temporal change (the meeting has been moved to another day in the week).

Combined with the prefix "vor-", it means something like "to change the position of something closer to the front" (however the front may be defined in the specific case). It can principally be used in a spatial context, but is typically used in a temporal one. So you could say something like

Die Besprechung nächsten Donnerstag wurde auf Dienstag vorverlegt.

Also, and a bit more colloquial, "vorziehen".
    – Roland
    Nov 18, 2021 at 11:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.