Sie will den nächsten Schritt in ihrer Karriere gehen.

vs

Sie will den nächsten Schritt in ihrer Karriere machen.

Is there a difference in meaning between the two sentences? Which sentence would you say sounds more natural?

I think both sentences are perfectly fine, and I'd say I've come across each of them, yet 'einen Schritt machen' slightly more often.

If one wants to find a distinction, the only one I see or perceive is that "den nächsten Schritt gehen" sounds ever so slightly more elevated or formal than "den nächsten Schritt machen" - but it's a tiny nuance at best to my ears.

Both variants are possible but i would ever so slightly prefer "Schritt machen" over "Schritt gehen" in this case: "gehen" is a specific way of making a step (i.e. another would be "laufen") and in the context of your sentence - you talk about a career - the "step" is a metaphorical one and "gehen", "laufen" or similar specific physical activities to undertake it seem to be less suitable than the more general "machen" IMHO.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.