I am transcribing an old philosophical letter, dated 11 May 1892, enter image description herefrom the Norwegian Professor of Philosophy Marcus Jacob Monrad (1816-97) to an unknown recipient. Further to this, I have problems with interpreting two XXX highlighted words in the below text/attached picture:

Ich rathe ja nicht über-
haupt das Geschriebene nicht
zu lesen, es ist nur eine Warnung an die
weniger philos.[ophischen] Geschulten oder
der Metaphysik AbXXX,
welche die zunächst folgende
abstr.[akte] Entwickelung nicht
verstehen und
nur in die unrichtige XXX
bekommen wurden.

1 Answer 1

The words you are looking for are Abholden and Kehle.

"die [...] der Metaphysik Abholden" are "those averse to metaphysics", from adj. abhold (with dative: jmdm., einer Sache abhold sein).

(By the way, in that passage, it should be "die weniger philos[ophisch] Geschulten" rather than "philos[ophischen]".)

"Die unrichtige Kehle" or "unrechte Kehle" is an (antiquated, as far as I can tell) colloquial name for the windpipe (trachea, Luftröhre): see DWDS, "Kehle" 1, examples. The idiom "etwas in die unrichtige Kehle bekommen", just as the modern counterpart "etwas in den falschen Hals bekommen", roughly translates to "take sth. the wrong way/be rubbed the wrong way by sth.", especially owing to a misunderstanding. The idiom originates from the literal meaning of the expression, i.e. "to choke on one's food", because the food went into the windpipe as opposed to the gullet – into the wrong throat, that is.

A paraphrase: Those lacking a proper philosophical training, or displaying a hostile attitude toward metaphysics, are going to misunderstand the abstract considerations and to be offended by them.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.