What is the difference in meaning in between Gebrauch and Verwendung? At context.reverso.net they seem to mean the same.

1 Answer 1

There is no difference in meaning. They do mean the same.

• They are mainly synonyms, but there are cases where you can use "Verwendung" but not "Gebrauch", e.g. "Verwendung der Steuergelder", but not "Gebrauch der Steuergelder". (I don't know if there are examples for the opposite case.)
    – Bodo
    Commented Dec 17, 2021 at 12:48
  • @Bodo: You can compare the various uses of the words in the DWDS usage database. My impression is that if you're using a tool or weapon then it's Gebrauch, and if it's something more abstract then it's Verwendung.
    – RDBury
    Commented Dec 17, 2021 at 13:24
  • @RDBury Then my impression is that you can use both Gebrauch and Verwendung for specific real things and only Verwendung for more abstract things.
    – Bodo
    Commented Dec 17, 2021 at 14:41
    There are differences in idiomatics, but not in meaning. That is, there are cases where only one of them is commonly used, but it's always possible to substitute the other one without changing the meaning. You can say "Gebrauch der Steuergelder" or "Verwendung des Werkzeugs", it's not wrong, just a bit unusual. Commented Dec 18, 2021 at 15:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.